Page 1 of 1

Copy/paste won't work

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:12 pm
by Tia
I have LibreOffice 6.0.
A few days ago, the copy/paste feature quit working.
I mainly need this feature to c/p material from docs into emails and blog templates.
At first I thought the problem could be my keyboard, as it's kinda old, but I have no trouble c/p from websites, only material in LibreOffice docs.
Might anyone know what the problem is, and how to correct it?

Also, I'd always used OpenOffice in the past, but I made two attempts (weeks ago and today) to download/install it, but Comodo says there's no digital signature and when I tried to install it anyway it said unknown publisher.

Re: c/p won't work

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:15 pm
by RoryOF
Have you installed any utility that touches or monitors the clipboard?

There must surely be a method of over-riding Comodo's suggestion.

Re: c/p won't work

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:18 pm
by Tia
RoryOF wrote:Have you installed any utility that touches or monitors the clipboard?

There must surely be a method of over-riding Comodo's suggestion.

1. I don't think so. But I don't even know where to find the clipboard. Previously, I'd always followed the highlight-copy-paste method, never bothered with clipboard.

2. Comodo didn't stop me from installing it, I hesitated because it sounded like the download might not be legitimate.
(PC was hacked twice in less than a year, so I'm cautious about downloading anything unless I'm sure of its source)

Re: c/p won't work

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:25 pm
by RoryOF
One should only download through http://www.openoffice.org/download, which will redirect you to a nearby SourceForge server, where the files are stored under high security. There will be no need (read: do not) click on any other links presented to you on the SourceForge site.

Re: c/p won't work

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:54 pm
by John_Ha
1. Download LibreOffice from https://www.libreoffice.org/

2. Please change your signature - it is confusing. OpenOffice is Apache OpenOffice - it is not LibreOffice. People need to know you are using LO to give you advice appropriate to LO.

3. If you want help with the copy/paste problem please take pity on us as we are mere mortals and not mind-readers. Please give details of exactly what happens or does not happen when you do xyz so that responders can begin to suggest things to try.

Re: c/p won't work

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:40 am
by Tia
John_Ha wrote:1. Download LibreOffice from https://www.libreoffice.org/

2. Please change your signature - it is confusing. OpenOffice is Apache OpenOffice - it is not LibreOffice. People need to know you are using LO to give you advice appropriate to LO.

3. If you want help with the copy/paste problem please take pity on us as we are mere mortals and not mind-readers. Please give details of exactly what happens or does not happen when you do xyz so that responders can begin to suggest things to try.
I can't seem to get rid of the sig line, it's just there. Not intending to annoy or confuse anyone.

I currently have LibreOffice 6.0. I'd installed OpenOffice, but it reverted to LO when I did a system restore. So, I've tried both programs, with the same results.

The keyboard and mouse work- I can c/p into Notepad, but can't c/p from Notepad to anywhere else.
When I use either Notepad or LO and try to c/p into an email, it does a little bouncing motion but the text won't appear. However, I'm able to put images from desktop into emails without any problem.

I have the same problem with Blogger: c/p text does not work, uploading images does.

Thinking it might be a computer glitch, I cleared cache/cookies/etc.; next, I cleared out old files, etc.; next, I did a defrag. None of these approaches resolved the problem, and neither did System Restore.
And, as I mentioned before, I've used c/p regularly without any problems in the past. Had not made any changes to computer/programs prior to the issues starting.

Re: Copy/paste won't work

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:48 pm
by RusselB
Copy/Paste is an operating system level set of commands.
I don't know what operating system you are using, as I can't see your forum signature, which, in my experience, means it is blank, contrary to information posted in earlier replies.
Having looked over everything in this topic, I suspect that you have a corrupted operating system, which, if true, I suspect will mean a complete wipe of your hard drive and reinstallation of all software.
I am not a computer expert, so a local tech shop might have an alternative suggestion.
If finances are an issue in this regard, see if there is a local computer help group. They often will have suggestions that are cheaper or possibly free.

Re: Copy/paste won't work

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:17 pm
by robleyd

Re: Copy/paste won't work

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:09 pm
by Tia
RusselB wrote:Copy/Paste is an operating system level set of commands.
I don't know what operating system you are using, as I can't see your forum signature, which, in my experience, means it is blank, contrary to information posted in earlier replies.
Having looked over everything in this topic, I suspect that you have a corrupted operating system, which, if true, I suspect will mean a complete wipe of your hard drive and reinstallation of all software.
I am not a computer expert, so a local tech shop might have an alternative suggestion.
If finances are an issue in this regard, see if there is a local computer help group. They often will have suggestions that are cheaper or possibly free.
If this info is helpful, I have Windows 7.

(a sig line appeared automatically when I first posted, but another poster said it was confusing so I deleted it)

Re: Copy/paste won't work

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:30 pm
by RoryOF
Some odd effects have been reported on OO when using Comodo. Disconnect from the Internet for safety - easiest to turn off your router, then disable Comodo and reboot computer with Comodo disabled. If Copy/Paste works then you may have to change some Comodo settings (I don't know which).

That test finished you can re-enable Comodo and turn on your router once again.

Re: Copy/paste won't work

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:34 am
by robleyd
We ask members to place information in their signature showing their operating system and version together with office suite and version so we can identify problems that may occur only with a specific combination. For example, there is a current issue with Windows 10 and MS updates.

Office suite might be, for example, Apache OpenOffice, LibreOffice or NeoOffice.

Re: Copy/paste won't work

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:37 am
by Zizi64
(a sig line appeared automatically when I first posted, but another poster said it was confusing so I deleted it)
Go not delete but adjust it:

User Control Panel - Profile (TAB) - Signature (sub-TAB) - Add the name and version number of your office suite, and the operating system.

Re: Copy/paste won't work

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:40 am
by Tia
Zizi64 wrote:
(a sig line appeared automatically when I first posted, but another poster said it was confusing so I deleted it)
Go not delete but adjust it:

User Control Panel - Profile (TAB) - Signature (sub-TAB) - Add the name and version number of your office suite, and the operating system.

I think it's fixed now. Thank you!

Re: Copy/paste won't work

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:47 am
by Zizi64
Thank you. It is a very important information for the helpers.