[Dropped] Image not inserted on expected page

Discuss the word processor
OO_you_make_me_mad!!

[Dropped] Image not inserted on expected page

Post by OO_you_make_me_mad!! »

Hello,

I have an other problem with writer. Whenever I try to insert an image on a specific page, page 1 in this case, the image is inserted on a following page that Writer creates on its own, other times the image is isnerted on a page preceeding the intended one that Writer creates on its own too, sometimes the image mircaulously appears on the right page, but in any of these case the first three or four pages become a complete mess, losing the chosen layout. Any help in solving this - umpteenth - problem?

Edit: Changed subject, was Image inserting 
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Dropped: OO_you_make_me_mad!! decided not to use an image -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OpenOffice 4.1.14 on windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Image inserting

Post by RoryOF »

Why not read some instructions on how best to use Writer?

Many have found this document informative:
Writer for students (several languages)

PDF at
http://openoffice-uni.org
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
OO_you_make_me_mad!!

I know how to insert images, it's simple, only Writer doesn't do it the right away.
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

You can anchor an image to a page. Right click for the menu with the anchor options.

note: if its anchored to a page it will stay put - on that page - even if you insert other things in other pages before it in the text flow.

Edit: also look at the "wrap" options.
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
OO_you_make_me_mad!!

I know I can anchor an image, the problem is it 's not inserted on the correct page, there's no point in anchoring the image if it's not in the place where it should be. As I said, most of the time the image appears on a page Writer creates on its own, and the following pages lose their formatting and get messy.
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

Whether I insert an image by pasting from the clipboard or by using the insert menu/Picture its inserted on the page where the insertion point is and is anchored to the paragraph by default.

You change which page its inserted on by changing the insertion point. If you're assuming it'll go on a page you've just moved to with the scrollbar - it doesn't - you have to click with the mouse or otherwise move the insertion point to where you want the picture.
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

If the picture won't fit on a page when you paste or insert it it'll be moved to the next one.

You change the anchoring type and anchoring postion and the wrap after its inserted so its on whichever page you want.
robleyd

Re: Image not inserted on expected page

Post by robleyd »

Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.4.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.4 by Eric Hameleers
---------------------
Roses are Red, Violets are Blue
Unexpected '{' on line 32
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

OO_you_make_me_mad!! wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:14 pm I know I can anchor an image, the problem is it 's not inserted on the correct page, there's no point in anchoring the image if it's not in the place where it should be. As I said, most of the time the image appears on a page Writer creates on its own, and the following pages lose their formatting and get messy.
Writer is a word processor. In word processors, images are inserted in the text flow, not on a "correct" page. If you click in a paragraph and insert an image, the image is anchored to the beginning of the paragraph (not anchored to the page) and the paragraph will be pushed down until there's room to insert the image above the paragraph.

If the image is large enough to push the beginning of the paragraph to the next page, the image will also be moved to the next page (the image and its anchor must be on the same page). In this case, just drag the image anchor to a paragraph on the "correct" page.

If the paragraph starts on the previous page and there is enough room to insert the image on the previous page, then the image will be inserted on the previous page. Again, just drag the image anchor to a paragraph on the "correct" page.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
OO_you_make_me_mad!!

Thank you all for replying, I moved the image to the right page by dragging it, but the problem remains that Writer creates an extra page before or after the one where the image should go and upload it there, maybe the image is too big, anyway, I decided not to use the image for other reasons. Thanks again for your help.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Can't you upload a sample file showing the issue (see How to attach a document here)?
I guess it would be more than 128KiB; in this case, use a 3rd party file sharing web site.
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

OO_you_make_me_mad!! wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:47 pm ...the problem remains that Writer creates an extra page before or after the one where the image should go and upload it there...
I could be wrong, but you seem to be expecting to pre-determine "where the image should go" before inserting the image. That's not how it works. Images are inserted in a position relative to the selected paragraph determined by rules written by the original developer(s) years ago. The user must move the image "where the image should go" after the image has been inserted.
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

Bill wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:35 pm Images are inserted in a position relative to the selected paragraph
This parameter can be set with this extension: viewtopic.php?t=107805
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Bidouille wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:39 pm
Bill wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:35 pm Images are inserted in a position relative to the selected paragraph
This parameter can be set with this extension: viewtopic.php?t=107805
I don't think this extension helps with the original problem. The default anchor type can be changed using the extension, but I don't see any way to change the default position for the image. Images inserted "To Character" are still inserted above the paragraph. Images inserted "As Character" are inserted above the baseline of the text. In both cases, the inserted images may not always appear on the "expected" page. They still need to be positioned manually after they have been inserted.