[Solved] Permission to open denied

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
DannyBoy19

[Solved] Permission to open denied

Post by DannyBoy19 »

I have been using AOO 4.1.6 for about three years, without any problems. Recently, access to most of my AOO files (only) was blocked with the message: "You don't have permission to open this file. Contact the file owner or an administrator to obtain permission." I do not recall ever setting myself up as owner or administrator, especially for AOO.
Is there a way to get past this prompt? If I were to install 4.1.13, would that solve the problem? Would I regain access to the restricted files?
Last edited by RoryOF on Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added green tick [RoryOF, Moderator]
Open Office 4.1.6; Windows 10
FJCC

Re: Permission to open denied

Post by FJCC »

This is often caused by Windows Defender or other security software. Are you using Defender or another program such as Avast?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

Of late there have been multiple posts into this forum of people experiencing the same kind of problem on Windows 10 and Windows 11 systems. Often times the problem is solved by switching to LibreOffice. There are several good reasons to switch to LibreOffice, some of which are given here: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.7.2 (x64) Fully installed to system on Windows 10 and Windows 11
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.7.2 (x86) [PortableApps] on Windows 10
DannyBoy19

Post by DannyBoy19 »

Kudos to both of you!

I have successfully installed LibreOffice (Still) and it has retrieved all of the restricted files. The process included uninstalling Avast. If I were to re-install Avast would it jeopardize the effectiveness of LO?

Thanks!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Very possibly - you will need to tell Avast to permit LibreOffice run and access your files.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
DannyBoy19

Post by DannyBoy19 »

Will do. Thanks again to each of you for helping me to solve this problem!
LastUnicorn

Re: [Solved] Permission to open denied

Post by LastUnicorn »

I don't use Avast myself but this would seem to be the kind of information you are looking for: Excluding certain files or websites from scanning in Avast Antivirus and Avast One
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.7.2 (x64) Fully installed to system on Windows 10 and Windows 11
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.7.2 (x86) [PortableApps] on Windows 10