Migration: Get rid of old documents

Discuss your migration story or project
Thessa

Migration: Get rid of old documents

Post by Thessa »

Hello,
we want to migrate from MSo to OOo (Step 1) and from Win to Linux (Step 2).
Our users have thousands of MSO documents in private and shared folders. Accessing documents on a network-share is our problem and we want to avoid the situation, that we have a ODF and a MSO Version of the file at the same time.
We want to get rid of the MSO files as soon as possible. Batch conversion and removing the MSO files is not an option due to expected fidelity problems.

The problem:
When opening a MSO File the file is saved as MSO file again
When saving as ODF, the MSO-Version still exists. Other users might open the wrong document. MSO-Documents have to be deleted manually.

Maybe an autoopen macro is the solution, that is invoked when a document is opened, the file is saved as odf and the MSO-document is renamed.

I´m highly interested in your experience, solutions, best practice models.

Tia
Thessa
OOo 3.0.X on MS Windows Vista + Debian GNU
acknak

Re: Migration: Get rid of old documents

Post by acknak »

Would it suffice to have a script that would search for files having the same name, except for the extension, and if an older MSO file is present, move it off to a "secret" location to be backed up or deleted?

Such a script should be simple to put together and it could be run automatically on a regular basis (every hour?). It would not be perfect, but it should be a lot easier to implement than something hooked into OOo.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Re: Migration: Get rid of old documents

Post by TheGurkha »

I agree with acknak. I would see this as a network house-keeping task, not something that should be integrated into to an Office suite.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust