Convert ASCII format back to ODT

Discuss the word processor
help_me_resolve_fix

Convert ASCII format back to ODT

Post by help_me_resolve_fix »

I (Matthew Harris) scrolled thru a small number of threads applicable to issue iterated in Subject box, but yours truly (me - a spry boyish looking married sexagenarian) does NOT consider himself technically savvy with computers (NOR anything electrical), hence a panic stricken state prevailed regarding .doc written and saved poetic material somehow getting converted into orthodox ASCII irretrievably lost. After doing a Google search I came (upon the midnight clear) witnessing your forum emblazoned across the sky. After reading similar laments courtesy countless unknown persons, who experienced a similar quandary (most posted some years ago) methought there must exist a verbal incantation that can be uttered to reverse the unwanted (ask key) transmutation nearly rendering hours of blood, sweat, and tears on a three dog night all for naught.
Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.15_MacOS_x86-64_install_en-US.dmg
FJCC

Re: How to Convert ascii format back to ODT.

Post by FJCC »

If you are getting the ASCII import filter, your document is almost certainly corrupted beyond repair. There might be a backup copy if you activated that option. Click the menu Tools -> Options. Expand the Load/Save list on the left and choose General. Is the option Always Create Backup Copy activated?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
help_me_resolve_fix

Re: How to Convert ascii format back to ODT.

Thank you much for buzzfeeding me about lost treasured writings of mine anonymous voice of technical support.
help_me_resolve_fix

Re: Convert ASCII format back to ODT

I did Click the menu Tools - but did NOT see Options choice listed. what now pray tell?
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Sorry, on a Mac that item is under OpenOffice -> Preferences.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

There may be an outside possibility of recovering some or all of the file from a deleted temporary file. As soon as may be, download one of Recuva or PhotoRec and tell it to recover deleted files on your computer. The sooner this is done the better.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS