[Solved] Bottom of Page Alignment Inconsistent

Discuss the word processor
WindRunner

[Solved] Bottom of Page Alignment Inconsistent

Post by WindRunner »

Hello, I have a "footer" you could say, at the bottom-right of the page on two pages. However, the alignment between it and the bottom border of the page differs between them.

The first one is;
OO Writer Footer 1.png
OO Writer Footer 1.png (603 Bytes) Viewed 1701 times
While the second is;
OO Writer Footer 2.png
OO Writer Footer 2.png (820 Bytes) Viewed 1701 times
Why is that and how can I make this alignment of the second footer the same as the first?

Using the format paintbrush didn't work.The file is .doc.

Thank You
Last edited by WindRunner on Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice v4.1.8 on Windows 7
floris v
Volunteer

Re: Bottom of Page Alignment Inconsistent

Post by floris v »

You really need to give more information so that we don't have to guess what's the matter here. How do you make this "footer"? If it's not a real footer, then what is it? Screenshots are not informative at all, they show at best what the problem is, but they don't make clear what the cause is. That's especially the case when you show very little, like in your pictures, and when you don't show text showing non-printing characters. So, please upload a sample document (preferably odt). Also please note that while AOO can open and save the MS doc format, there are compatibility issues, and your problem might be one of them.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

If the "footer" is just being typed in the text area, then it's unlikely that the "footers" would align since the text area is filled from the top down, not the bottom up. Use real footers which can be put at a specific distance from the bottom of the page.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Using a footer will lead to multiple page styles, complicating the document.
A workaround would be to use a frame (better than a text box) and anchor it To page. Then copy and paste it from one page to another, it will keep the same positioning.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

You could change the Format menu/Paragraph/Indends & Spacing tab/Spacing/above paragraph.

Fiddly if there are subsequent edits earlier in the document - you will need to redo it.

Edit:
Or you could add a blank line before it and change the font size of the blank line (which changes the line height) till its where you want it. Same problem if there are subsequent edits.
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
WindRunner

[Solved]Re: Bottom of Page Alignment Inconsistent

Post by WindRunner »

I didn't add the footers and until now didn't know how to add them using the option in OO. From what I can tell they are just the last line on the page right-aligned.

I created a new document in OO, hit enter until I came to the last line on the page, clicked Align Right button, and typed Footer. Then I did the same thing for the second page. Both of these manually-made footers had the same spacing from the bottom border of the page - I looked at both pages side-by-side as I had the window maximized and a big enough monitor.

So then in my original document I deleted everything before the footers on both pages and after hitting enter to put the footers back on the last line they were also equally aligned from the bottom border of page. This told me that the vertical alignment of the footers or last line on page was dependent on the formatting of content above as I think Bill was saying. I ended up putting the cursor just before the first letter of the footer ("C") and pressing enter which moved the "CONTINUED..." phrase down further and closer to the page border. The two footers are still not perfectly equally aligned from the bottom border but the difference is much less now which I'm satisfied with.

I tried adding a real footer through Insert -> Footer option but could only add it to all the pages. Obviously I don't want the "CONTINUED..." phrase to appear on the bottom of the last page. Thank you to all for your help.
OpenOffice v4.1.8 on Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved]Re: Bottom of Page Alignment Inconsistent

Post by Hagar Delest »

WindRunner wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:49 am I tried adding a real footer through Insert -> Footer option but could only add it to all the pages. Obviously I don't want the "CONTINUED..." phrase to appear on the bottom of the last page.
That is precisely why I advised to go the frame route.
Have you tried? It achieves exactly what you want. And it doesn't need fine adjustments with the text size and/or spacing when you keep your fake footer content in the main text area.
:roll:
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
JeJe
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Bottom of Page Alignment Inconsistent

Post by JeJe »

As I suggested, if you put the cursor back on the new blank line you inserted before the C.
Then change the font size for that line by clicking on the toolbar where it say 12 or whatever it currently says for it and enter a different number
You can easily adjust the position to exactly what you want.
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
Bill
Volunteer

Re: [Solved]Re: Bottom of Page Alignment Inconsistent

Post by Bill »

WindRunner wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:49 am I tried adding a real footer through Insert -> Footer option but could only add it to all the pages. Obviously I don't want the "CONTINUED..." phrase to appear on the bottom of the last page.
You could draw a white rectangle over "CONTINUED..." on the last page.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RoryOF

Re: [Solved] Bottom of Page Alignment Inconsistent

Post by RoryOF »

In my view, "CONTINUED" is more properly part of the text than part of the page structure, so I would place it after a break in the text, a break which you would insert preferably at a logical position in the text. The Footer might most usually hold page numbering.

As a text is on sequential pages, there is probably no need for "CONTINUED"; the logic of sequential pages is that the text continues on the next page.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS