[Solved] Mozaik label printing

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
Valik

[Solved] Mozaik label printing

Post by Valik »

Hi, i have exactly the same problem as in this link. i have tried the solution but it is not working.
viewtopic.php?p=298196
What can i do?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
Open Office 4.1.10 on win 10
Hagar Delest

Re: Mozaik Label Printing

Post by Hagar Delest »

Please give us some clues.
At what point it does not work?
What is the output or the error message?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Valik

Post by Valik »

In mozaik i click on print labels, then open office opens up and has all the fields that need the input from the right file, i have followed all the steps like explained in the tread (link) but the fields are not being filled with the right information, using mail merge (that's where i get stuck) i don't know what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong.
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

Mail merge usually only fills the fields, when you actually select "print" ( I usually use Keys: Ctrl+p ), then you are asked, if you wish to do a mail-merge ( yes), then proceed selecting some or all records. To test you may print to a pdf-printer, to inspect the result before actually printing
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
Valik

Post by Valik »

When selecting print a message pops up saying, your document contains address database fields. do you want to print a form letter? when selecting no it prints without filling the fields.
when selecting yes, another message pops up: the data source " was not found. thus the connection to the data source could not be established. then i click check connection settings. That is where i can choose the data base (Like explained in the other tread i created a database), selecting a data base doesn't help the fields are not being filled.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Valik wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:13 am the data source was not found
If you're having trouble with Mail Merge, you really should read the document which explains the process: Writer Guide; Chapter 11; Using Mail Merge: Form letters, mailing labels, and envelopes

To use mail merge you must have:
• a Writer document which contains mail merge fields
• a Base document which provides records with data for the merge (the data source)
• a registration entry in OpenOffice Base → Connections for the Base document

Since you receive message Your document contains address database fields you have the first one. You must answer Yes to use Mail Merge.

You cannot hope to use Mail Merge successfully until you can open your Base document. Use File → Open to check whether it opens properly and contains the expected tables or queries and whether they contain the expected records. If the Base document won't open, fix that problem. To get assistance here, you will, at mininum, need to indicate what type of database you're using. No one here knows what type of database you have. Based on the post you linked, since you say you have exactly the same problem, your data source will be a text file in CSV format. If so, it would help if you attach it (remove confidential information then use Post Reply, not Quick Reply, and don't attach a picture instead of the document itself). We only need a dozen records or so.

Finally you must register the Base document in the Options dialog. Options are set with OpenOffice → Preferences on a Mac, Tools → Options on other platforms.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Valik

Post by Valik »

it took me a wile but i got it,it is populating the fields now. but on a job with 523 parts it is printing 1046 pages. per page i have 30 lables for every single part it creates 60 lables (2 pages of identical lables). i was looking for a wile to find a setting but could not find one
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

I'd think you have to find out where your version of "PartData.dat" was stored and how to connect to it.

I would suggest to copy the file to PartData.csv and then create a Datasource for this like rudolfo had described in the other thread. Two main points: The "datasource" is the folder where PartData.csv is, not the file itself. (You are allowed to have multiple csv-files there, all being tables of the folder-database.)
And: Register the database e.g. as mozaicCSV and save also the database (.odb-file). Don't delete or move the .odb file afterwards: The given name (mosaicCSV) will lead to the .odb, wich stores where your csv-folder is...

Last step is to set the "Table" PartData (without .csv) of the database mosaicCSV as source for your mailmerge.
Usually you can find "exchange database" in your menu, or you can start at the error-message "connection not found"

PS: seems you found out yourself..

PPS: There is no setting to double print.
But in label-printing there can be a command to advance to the next row. If omitted you get the sam row again. But this is unusual for mail-merge. So maybe check the template, if fields are included twice.

Workaround: If this are pages "print" to a pdf or Writer-file first, then print only odd or even pages. Most printer-drivers have this option...
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
Valik

Post by Valik »

I'm so close to give up but I'm also so close to get it.
if i have only the .dat file in the folder it is not finding the table, if i have it converted to a text file (dat file still existing) the data source can see them both (i guess). creating an empty directory it seams to work but i still have the problem that i get 30 same labels per page instead of 30 different ones .
in this case i have 125 different parts but for some reason it is still printing 247 pages (i only checked the first couple they are changing from page to page). i could not send the full file because it was to large.
Attachments
test.odt
(31.8 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
PartData.txt
(6.88 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Thank you for the attachments.
Valik wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:28 pm i still have the problem that i get 30 same labels per page instead of 30 different ones .
The mail merge field for the last field of each label needs to be followed by a Next Record field. After enabling View → Field Names, use Insert → Fields → Other → Database → Next Record → Database selection → Your databaseYour table → Insert. Next Record tells the merge to advance to the next record of the data source for the following label. The last label on the page might get an automatic Next Record but that quirk may depend on how the label template is created. Verify that the first label on the second page is the correct one.

Once you have your label template working, use File → Save As → File Type → ODF Text Document Template so that you won't need to repeat these steps next time. In the future, you can just open the template and use Edit → Exchange Database to select new data for the merge.

This topic addresses the opposite problem but may help you understand the concepts.
[Solved] Full page of labels for each database row

If you need additional assistance, we could test the merge if we have the Writer template. You have already provided the file for the data source: PartData.txt. How is the Writer document which is used as the mail merge template created?
• Was it generated by Mozaik? Then attach it here. Your test.odt has no mail merge fields. It seems to be the result of the merge.
• Did you create it with File → New → Labels? What is your label brand and type? This process creates Next Record fields for you.
• Did you create it as a Writer document with a table? Then attach that document here.

Valik wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:28 pm I could not send the full file because it was [too] large.
We didn't want the full file, just enough to understand the layout. Your attachment shows you have 30 labels per page, so 40 rows of data is plenty.
Two days ago MrProgrammer wrote: We only need a dozen records or so.
If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).