[Dropped] Page breaks added when saving as .doc

Discuss the word processor
l02turner

[Dropped] Page breaks added when saving as .doc

Post by l02turner »

Hello,
I just finished my first novel using Apache Writer. Then, I saved it as a .doc so I can publish it on Kindle/Amazon, but when I save the file as a .doc, it adds page breaks where none existed before. I went thru and manually removed all the blank spaces, but when I again saved my work as a .doc, it adds more page breaks again.

Anyone have a solution?

TIA -

Edit: Changed subject, was Format of Doc changes when saving as .doc 
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Dropped: No attachment provided when requested -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
open office 4.1.5 on windows 10
LastUnicorn

Re: Format of Doc changes when saving as .doc

Post by LastUnicorn »

LibreOffice is reputed to have better compatibility with .doc files than OpenOffice has. You could try opening the .odt file you have in LibreOffice and saving as .doc or even .docx from within LibreOffice. If you don't want to install LibreOffice to try this then just use a portable version: LibreOffice Portable Still

Otherwise see this thread for some detail on why nowadays LibreOffice is better to use than OpenOffice anyway: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.7.2 (x64) Fully installed to system on Windows 10 and Windows 11
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.7.2 (x86) [PortableApps] on Windows 10
JeJe
Volunteer

Re: Format of Doc changes when saving as .doc

Post by JeJe »

There's a free online version of Microsoft Word - you could also try opening your odt file in that and saving it.

Doc is an old format.

What exactly in your document is being converted to a page break? If you posted a sample, not your whole novel, just the minimum needed to show 1 page break being added when its converted, we might be able to offer a way round it.
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Page breaks added when saving as .doc

Post by Bill »

Please upload a sample file in the ODT file format. The sample ODT file can be saved in DOC format to determine what settings in the ODT file are being changed when saved in the DOC format.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04