[Rant] Permission to open denied

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Swade
Banned

[Rant] Permission to open denied

Post by Swade »

I am new here. But I want to post my first thoughts and see if they change after I am educated by you all. I used to use Microsoft Office, as I'm sure most all here at one point or another did or still do. I downloaded Apache Open Office a few years ago, but didn't use it much because I was still set in my ways. But recently I have been using it...set it as my default. But a few day ago...I created a new document using my old Word program... created a new folder to put it in. Went to open it today...and I got a windows message saying "Access Denied, you do not have permission"!!! WTF...I created the damn thing! I thought it was a windows problem and I was properly pissed at Microsoft! But turns out...it's an Apache thing! I was able to open the document using word and a couple of other programs I have with no problems at all. My question is this if OpenOffice is not able to access a Microsoft-based file...what right do they have to emulate a windows prompt saying I do not have permission? That seriously mislead me to think the problem was with OS. This isn't the first time it's happened either...it's just the first time I got so pissed I looked into it. I'm not here to talk apples and oranges about the difference in software. I'm here to say...stop emulating Windows! Give a clear and decisive reason why you can't open the file. Don't just say "You don't have permission"! That's bullshit and you know it! You're trying to piss people off at Microsoft when it's you who can't open the file! OK...that's my rant! Let's see if you scholars can change my mind!

Edit: This topic includes posts from Swade which were originally added to topics Swade did not own. The posts allege without proof various conspiracy theories that OpenOffice is responsible for "access denied" problems. These views may confuse other users and were moved from non-owned topics to this one. -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator  
OpenOffice 4.1.13 on Windows 10 Pro!
Hagar Delest

Re: Permission to open denied

Post by Hagar Delest »

I have split your topic from the original one since it was solved ([Solved] Permission to open denied).

We won't even try to change your mind because we are just users like you, trying to help other users.
If you need to work in MS Office file format, then better stick to MS Office anyway. Period.
LibreOffice offers a better compatibility with those formats but the point in using either AOO or LO is to use their truly open format (ODF).

The opening of the file by AOO seems to trigger something in Windows. Thus, there is no fake message, just something wrong in how AOO tells the OS that it wants to open the file. LibreOffice does much better, no clear reason for that yet.

You are barking the wrong tree. Try the AOO dev mailing list instead.
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Swade
Banned

Re: [Solved] Permission to open denied

Post by Swade »

Pretty sure I have the latest upgrade too! May I make a request for Update 4.1.14? Please make it discernable that your popup is not a Windows popup! I swear, that shit had me thinking it was a windows OS thing. Not sure...but some might sue over that!
Swade
Banned

Post by Swade »

I don't want to sue...I just want it fixed! That leaves a bad taste in my mouth...trying to emulate windows to look like your competitor and claim the person who created the file doesn't have permission to open it simply because you don't know how...shame on you! Folks...if you get "Access denied"...don't blame Microsoft. Instead, use one of their programs...bet you'll open it easily! This is a ploy to divert consumers' written directly into the program! I swear! The shit some people will do? It's unreal!
Swade
Banned

Post by Swade »

It's one thing to emulate Microsoft Office...but it's a whole different can of worms when you start emulating Windows 10 or any version. You need to make changes in the popups when you can't access a file!
Swade
Banned

Post by Swade »

Most people don't understand the difference between a software popup and an OS system popup when you guys try to make it look the same! All I ask is that you make it very discernable. Like put your name within the window, or change the wording to say " Open Office cannot read or access this file"...instead of "Access Denied, you are not permitted to access this file"! OMG...WTF?
Swade
Banned

Post by Swade »

The truth is...you are the one denied...you are the one who can't access it! Folks, use another program...tons out there can access that file just fine!
Swade
Banned

Post by Swade »

It is not your operating system. Microsoft doesn't care if you use Apache Open Office...they did not create some block. But these guys...oh, they are smooth! I actually like Open Office. But they need to fix that shit!
Swade
Banned

Post by Swade »

Don't believe me? Uninstall Open Office...if you ever get an "Access Denied" popup again...you let me know! I am not shitting you, folks!
Swade
Banned

Post by Swade »

They will say this and that...but just try my theory for a couple of weeks! I have never had Windows tell me ( the owner and creator of everything on my PC) that I don't have permission. Think! It wasn't until I installed Open Office. Think Again!
Swade
Banned

Re: "Access denied" my most recent stuff

Post by Swade »

I had that same thing happen last night. Been happening since I installed Open Office. Bare with me...that popup you saw... was not a windows popup though it looked just like one. It was Open Office...not Windows telling you have no Permissions! Don't believe me...try other document readers...even notepad. If that document was locked by Windows...no program could read it if you don't have permission. Open Office has developed a popup that looks just like a windows popup saying (Access Denied: You do not have permission to access this file) when the truth is...Open Office can't read it. I shit you not! Try another program...download another program...I swear to you...your installation of Open Office is causing you to blame Microsoft! That's what they intended. Pretty low shit if you ask me...they programmed this knowing its intention. As far as I know, Microsoft has not targeted them. I liked Open Office...thought I was getting out of the software wars until I got the popup...yeah, if you have Open Office and try to access old files...guess what??? You don't have permission to access those cards you wrote for your mother, daughter, wife, dad, or grandparents anymore. And it looks just like a windows popup too...so you start trying to figure out WTF with your OS. It's not your OS...it's Open Office!
Swade
Banned

Post by Swade »

I don't know what the creator's endgame was...I think like all great ideas it started out good...but then the jerks come in wanting to steal away all the original good. Now I think Open Office should be listed as malware on multiple Virus protection sites. Why? It's the first program I ever installed that had me a question and get pissed at my OS for not giving me the privilege to open a freaking file I created. Gosh, I was so pissed at Microsoft! But then...I realized I could open the file with Word, even notepad. WTF? And it was then I understood. That popup you get that says (Access Denied: You do not have permission to access this file) was Open Office's prompt letting you know they can't access that file! It looked just like a windows prompt on purpose! They want you to get pissed at Microsoft! They will probably delete this post...but if you see it...spread the word!
Swade
Banned

Post by Swade »

You programmers out theit...check the code...tell me if I am lying...they deliberately made the (Access Denied: You don't have permission to access this file) prompt look just like a regular Windows prompt so that everyone would blame Microsoft??? Tell the truth!
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

OK, I'm fed you with. I already told you that you were barking the wrong tree: Permission to open denied.

I see that you've been warned already and kindly asked to stop posting your rant everywhere.

Thus, I ban you right away for breaching the forum rules. I think that you set a record for a non-spammer account: only 2 hours survival in the forum.
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10