[Solved] Accurately split shapes

Discuss the drawing application

[Solved] Accurately split shapes

Postby PopStarWannabe » Mon May 04, 2015 8:33 pm

I would like to be able to split a shape into 2 or more smaller shapes. For example: I draw a square and I want to split it into 2 triangles along the diagonal.

I could not find a 100% accurate method to to this.

I did find the following suggestion:
draw a very thin rectangle across the diagonal --> select both shapes --> choose Modify > Shapes > Subtract --> choose Modify > Split
but this is not very accurate or handy.

Is there any other way?
Last edited by PopStarWannabe on Tue May 05, 2015 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 / Windows 10 Pro x64
PopStarWannabe

Re: accurately split shapes

Postby acknak » Mon May 04, 2015 10:53 pm

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

Sorry, there's no "split this in half" operation, but it is possible with just a little extra effort.

The Modify > Shapes > ... approach is the most general, and it can be perfectly accurate if you take the proper steps.

For the general case, dividing any shape, I use two steps: first remove one half and then the other, with two separate operations. Instead of a thin rectangle, I create a shape that completely overlays one half of the shape to be divided.

Here's what the steps look like:
split_shape.png
split_shape.png (3.43 KiB) Viewed 2852 times

1) Polygon tool: draw a closed polygon with at least three vertices. The exact shape doesn't matter.
2) Drag two adjacent vertices to form the cut line. Turn on "snap to object points" to get the vertices positioned perfectly over the square.
3) Extend the ends of the cut line; hold shift while dragging to keep the moving vertex collinear.
4) Select both shapes; copy to clipboard.
__a) Modify > Shapes > Subtract: this leaves the outside half (light blue).
__b) Edit > Paste; Modify > Shapes > Intersect: this leaves the inside half (purple).

This approach can be used with pretty much any shape, although some situations can produce surprising results.

For a square (or rectangle), there's another approach. You can convert the shape to a polygon: Modify > Convert > To polygon, then delete one of the vertices: instant triangle. For the other half, copy the square beforehand, then paste and repeat, deleting the opposite vertex.
Attachments
split_shape.odg
(10.29 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Re: accurately split shapes

Postby PopStarWannabe » Tue May 05, 2015 10:24 pm

All right, thanks! It works!

Thank you!
OpenOffice 4.1.2 / Windows 10 Pro x64
PopStarWannabe

Return to Draw