Chromebook?

Talk about anything at all....

Chromebook?

Postby jborchel » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:35 pm

Is Open Office available for a Chromebook yet? I could not find one in the support listing.
John Borchelt/Open Office 3.2 on Vista Home Premium
jborchel

Re: Chromebook?

Postby Zizi64 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:26 pm

Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6 on Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps, winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.2.5; AOO4.1.6
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby jborchel » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:14 pm

Not many good reviews of this extension. Is my original question accurate? There is no way to run Open Office on a Chromebook? If so, it seems strange that the work hasn't been done to develop compatibility. Last I heard Chromebook was outselling all other techs. Although this may be to large volumes being sold to schools.
John Borchelt/Open Office 3.2 on Vista Home Premium
jborchel

Postby Zizi64 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:55 pm

Not many good reviews of this extension. Is my original question accurate? There is no way to run Open Office on a Chromebook?

I do not know it.
I have not Chromebook, and I am using the LibreOffice at my workplace and home. Only portable versions of the Apache OpenOffice are present on my Windows PC-s for testing the attachments on this Forum.

The development of the AOO is very slow today. I suggest you to use the LO.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6 on Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps, winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.2.5; AOO4.1.6
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby Villeroy » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:51 pm

From what I can tell from search results, Chomebook can install and run native Linux applications. Installing the Debian packages of LibreOffice should be as easy as downloading and extracting the tar.gz, go to the DEBS directory and then issue dpkg -i *deb as admin.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.x
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby keme » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:39 am

If for some reason you must use Apache OpenOffice and not LibreOffice, it looks like it is possible.

A little fiddly but manageable for most users, just like it is for LO by the looks of it (cf. Villeroy's instructions).

See https://www.openoffice.org/download/com ... #linux-deb

These days you should probably take Villeroy's advice and use LibreOffice unless you have a very good reason to go with OpenOffice.
keme
Volunteer

Return to General Discussion