Numbering inserted comments?

Discuss the word processor

Numbering inserted comments?

Postby onyxeyez » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:23 am

Hi -

I am wondering if there is a way to turn on numbering for comments, so that the reader can refer to them by number. I did a search through the forum with the results saying no, but they were all several years old, and I want to find out if that has changed. I will do it manually if I have to, but I'd rather not for all of them lol.

Thanks.
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on windows 10
onyxeyez

Re: Numbering inserted comments?

Postby RoryOF » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:54 am

Not that I am aware. It might be done with a macro, but you would need to write that. Movement to a comment can be done using the Navigator (F5 key). A quick workaround might be to commence each comment with a meaningful keyword, which would show in the Navigator - something like these two examples;

Fox: the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

Cat: the cat sat on the mat.

Edit: A problem with manual numbering of comments is that an inserted comment, in a location between two earlier comments, will now be out of sequence. Ideally such comment numbering ought be dynamic. I ran into this while attempting to keep track of letters in a text. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Xubuntu 18.04.2 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby onyxeyez » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:07 am

Yeah, I had to go through and re-number them when I deleted one. Luckily I don't have to do that often. Thanks for the response.
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on windows 10
onyxeyez

Postby RoryOF » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:13 am

Another method, when inserting a comment into an already numbered sequence of comments, is to use the previous comment number and tag it "a"", "b" etc, so comments would have sequence, for example
11a
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Xubuntu 18.04.2 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Return to Writer