Open source software: Safe? Easy to configure?

Talk about anything at all....

Open source software: Safe? Easy to configure?

Postby justdfy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:37 am

Edit: Split from Apache OO OCR software for photographed text? -- MrProgrammer 2019-07-14 00:04 
On Linux, RoryOF?

I've known about those systems for years, but being in "isolated circumstances" with no mates to assist, I've taken the safe view of not changing to, or downloading and trying Ubuntu or any other linux open source system.

I've still got the Ubuntu shortcut on my desktop. Sort of my "living optimistically" attitood.

So, if you've the time, were I to download a complete Ubuntu or such software 'kit', how difficult would it be to set it up and run on it, instead of the aging and no-longer-updated Windows7. On the hopeful prospect that I'll still be doing my REALPolitik stuff online for any time beyond the next six months?

Perhaps my bigger question is, how safe is open source, for a low-level amateur user, who really has no safety, for being the focus of the big dicks of such as western spy nobs.

Passwords etc., are worthless if they want, as they do, to get in and mess with my laptop's junk. (The irony being my genetic connections to their ultimate masters in the elite dynasties. That again, presents all manner of 'difficulties', if and when I post radical anti-establishment diatribes, which they, rarely, can handle. They are I think told to protect me, but yeah, in a wild western world with off-the-chain nutjobs in every town, yeah?)

So are the open source Linux etc types of systems any less secure than the complex (hahaha, I know) Microsoft or Apple systems?

To that, I have attracted a lot of 'antipathy' from geeks high and low on the corporate pyramids, in my undiplomatic but straight-and-true REALPolitik (anti for-profit) posts against such as Silicone Valley and it's various excesses.

So with Open source and coding/programming especially in the commercial arenas, and with hackers-various being so popular, many with NO morals, or social consciences, will I be exposing myself even more than now if I try change from the mainstream Microsoft etc, systems?

Like, are the mainstream internet security packages, like Norton, or AVG, or, or, worth a cracker with the open source Ubuntu systems?

Also, yes, I expect these questions need be posted to another forum.

"Paranoid"? Me? Just a little, HEALTHY paranoia, in these types of matters.

Trust, is very hard to find in my 'business'.

Cheers.

(Apologies for the TMI.)
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add link to original post
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on (2006 model) Toshiba L300, using a later (2013?) L300's HDD w Windows7
justdfy

Re: Open source software: Safe? Easy to configure?

Postby RoryOF » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:29 am

A quick (and only lightly considered) answer. Linux, when correctly set up, can be more difficult for the "amateur" hacker to crack.

Changing to linux is a major paradigm shift - do not think it will be as simple as Windows for installation of programs, or that these will have the same level of sophistication and integration one with another as Windows. If you built or repaired your own computer and/or upgraded Windows from one version to another yourself, then you might have the mindset to tackle it. It will allow old hardware continue in use for many years - this computer was bought in 2008, and the laptop from which I replied earlier today to your OCR thread is mid 2006.

My immediate reaction to your query: if you have to ask the questions you did, then linux is not immediately for you.

I stress that this is _my_ reaction: others may have different advice. In the end, it all comes down to you, what you want to do, what amount of time you will give to it, and how prepared you are to work around any problems.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Xubuntu 18.04.2 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby RusselB » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:08 pm

If you want to try a linux based OS but are completely used to the Windows interface, I have a system that uses an interface almost identical to that of Windows 7/8 called Xandros. It can even be installed on most systems that I've encountered beside Windows and configured to be either the primary or secondary OS.
Your primary OS (if you have multiple) is the one used when your system powers up and there's no interaction to tell it to use the secondary OS.
Regretfully the link I have for Xandros appears to be down, so I won't provide it, but a Google search should get you more information.
FYI: The first version of Xandros I obtained came on 2 5 1/4" floppies. I still have the discs and a drive that will read them.
OpenOffice 4.1.6 and LibreOffice 6.0.6.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby RoryOF » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:46 pm

One important matter to stress is that Linux _does not_ run programs coded for Windows. One can usually find programs with similar functionality; these often have differences in the methods of usage which Windows users can find irritating.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Xubuntu 18.04.2 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Return to General Discussion