Book cover

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here

Book cover

Postby Jalinsun » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:17 pm

I am producing a book. For printing I must have one contiguous document containing the interior content plus the covers. The cover is a photograph which covers the entire surface. I am having trouble getting the photo to stretch outside the margins. Can you help please? Thanks.
Open office 4.1.3 Microsoft windows 7 home premium
Jalinsun

Re: Book cover

Postby Zizi64 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:28 pm

Use an user defined Page Style for the cover page, with zero margin settings.

Note: the most of the printers can not print a page with zero margins...
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6 on Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps, winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.2.8; AOO4.1.6
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby John_Ha » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:52 pm

If you insert the photo by Insert > Picture ..., you can stretch it to the sheet edges.
AOO 4.1.6, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby Jalinsun » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:22 pm

Thank you. Yes, I have been playing with the page styles and can see it sort of works. I am finding them difficult to control though. I set the style for one page and then insert a page with a different style and then find my cover page has also swapped to the new style. I guess I just need to practise more?

Also, can I set up a new style, name it, and then store it so it is available for subsequent documents? I seem to have to set them up for each new document.

Thanks again for your help
Open office 4.1.3 Microsoft windows 7 home premium
Jalinsun

Postby Zizi64 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:15 pm

1.: Always use the native, international standard ODF fileformats if you want to work efficiently with the AOO and LO.

2.: Apply the page styles regularly by the menu item (the example is from LO 6.1.6):
Insert - More Breaks - Manual breaks - Page Break / Style (choose one of the existing styles) - OK.
(The menu structure is different in the AOO and the older LO versions)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6 on Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps, winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.2.8; AOO4.1.6
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Return to Advanced Uses