[Solved] Adding data to existing CSV document

Discuss the spreadsheet application

[Solved] Adding data to existing CSV document

Postby bobbert » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:57 pm

HELP! Each month i build on my CSV file by adding another months worth of data. I download the new file, COPY it and attempt to to paste it into my existing file. It adds it, i save it, but when i go back in the new data isn't there????? Anyone have any idea what i'm doing wrong?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Rob
bobbert

Re: Adding data to existing CSV document

Postby Zizi64 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:36 pm

Editing a pure .csv file not request either of the Apache OpenOffice nor the LibreOffice Edit it by the simpliest notepad. Just copy/paste the new content, and save it as .csv file.

...In the other way you need import a .csv file into the Open/LibreOffice Calc, then you will able edit it cell-by-cell, and finally you must save (export) it as .csv file.
But it is better to store your important documents in the native, international standard ODF file types.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO4.4.7, LO6.1.5 on Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps, winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.2.2; AOO4.1.5
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby John_Ha » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:08 am

Always save all your spreadsheet files as .ods files and never as .csv files. If you need a .csv file for some reason then save a copy of your .ods file as a .csv file.

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files where .csv files are similar to .txt or .rtf files.

Is it a size problem? How many rows do you have in your .csv file?
AOO 4.1.6, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Manual, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and the Writer guide.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby bobbert » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:17 pm

Thank you John.......you've just made life so much easier for me.
Rob
bobbert

Return to Calc