Matching page size to paper size.

Discuss the presentation application
shilliard

Matching page size to paper size.

Post by shilliard »

I have this problem with both OpenOffice Impress and LibreOffice Impress. It involves using slide notes, printed to booklets, as handouts.

I use a Brother 8860DN printer to print booklets on 8.5 X 11 letter-size paper. Each 8.5 X 11 sheet of paper contains 4 Impress note pages -- 2 printed notes on each side of a sheet of paper. Each printed note goes on a 8.5" high by 5.5" wide section of paper.

My problem is that the printed note pages are too short to cover the whole 8.5 inches vertical height of paper. A frame is drawn around around the edge of each 8.5x5.5 "page", with a 0.25 inches margin, correctly spaced. I would like the printed page to fill the inside of that frame, but the vertical distance between the printed header and footer of a note is only 6.25 inches -- almost 2 inches too short compared to sheet of paper it prints on.

How can I adjust (increase) the header-to-footer height to make the notes fit the paper better?
OpenOffice 4.1.5 and LibreOffice 6.1.5.2 on windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Matching page size to paper size.

Post by RoryOF »

When you print the notes page, is it showing the slide at the top?

One of the problems you may be running into is the difference in ratio (width to height) of a US letter page (8.5 x 11 inches, ratio 1:1.29) and a brochure page (5.5 x 8.5 inches, ratio 1:1.55). This is why most of the world uses the A, B, and C series of papers, where each size has the same ratio as the larger or smaller sizes (1:1.41) [actually 1:sqrt(2)]

The printable area you indicate for the brochure size actually has the ratio 1:1:60
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You can change the notes page layout in OpenOffice (don't know about LibreOffice) by /View /Master /Notes Master.

See
Change Impress Notes page layout
shilliard

Post by shilliard »

RoryOF wrote:You can change the notes page layout in OpenOffice (don't know about LibreOffice) by /View /Master /Notes Master.

See
Change Impress Notes page layout
In OpenOffice, the page layout showed a page containing frames for the slide, the notes, the components of the header and footer. I can move the frames around, but I can't find a way to change the page height itself. If I move a frame off the page -- like moving the footer down so it prints lower -- it does not print at all.

I have not examined LibreOffice yet.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Using the method in my link above you can click on the frame size and on the slide thumbnail and change their proportions. A quick experiment showed that the notes for a single slide may not print in Brochure format until one has a second slide inserted - after deleting the second slide they remained printable.

By changing your margins you may be able to include more content; I think your problem is one of the content proportions between the full size notes page (on Letter) and the reduced size notes (on Brochure),

On a copy of your file, try /View /Master /Notes. Select /Format /Page and on the Paper tab choose "Long Bond"; now adjust the frame as you wish, both for the slide size and the notes area. Also, if you have enabled any of the settings in /View /Master /Master Elements, reduce their areas - they seem to have double line height areas on the Notes Master (click on their frame outline and reduce). Now Close Master View (on the floating toolbar). Try a trial print of one or two pages. I think this will give you more content on your printed Brochure sized pages.
shilliard

Post by shilliard »

Those adjustments will shrink or expand the image on the paper but it never changes the distance between the header and footer. They remain the same distance apart. I can move the header and footer around using the page properties -- but they still remain the same distance apart. I havn't found an adjustment that will increase that distance. That distance stays 6.25" on an 8.5" high sheet.

With LibreOffice Impress, the results are almost the same except that the header/footer distance is slightly less, at 6.0'.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Have you tried shrinking the image on the Notes Master, and increasing the actual notes frame? On Notes master, click on the frame(s), then using the green handles when it is selected, pull to change the size.

Best to try this in a short (two/three frame) trial presentation.
 Edit: To get the new format notes page to take, one has to rename it from Default(Notes). 
Attached is a trivial presentation with the notes pages changed. The first notes page is modified in Note Master (remember to rename) and would be the standard notes page for all slides in this presentation. The second notes page has been changed from the previous by dragging the slide image to bottom and the notes frame to top - this was done on the Notes tab for that slide and will only apply to slide 2.
Attachments
Sample presentation wiith notes changed.pdf
(62.77 KiB) Downloaded 202 times