OpenOffice crashing

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows

OpenOffice crashing

Postby Bruce Biley » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:14 am

I just loaded OpenOffice 4.1.6 on a brand new laptop I just purchased a couple of days ago. It crashes everytime I do a find search on a spreadsheet. What is wrong?
I have been using OpenOffice for years on my old laptop, and it has worked perfectly. Can somebody tell me what to do to fix it?
Bruce
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10
Bruce Biley

Re: OpenOffice crashing

Postby FJCC » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:30 am

Try resetting your user profile. To do that, shutdown OpenOffice. Open any folder and in the address bar near the top enter %appdata%\openoffice\4
That will take you to a folder containing a folder named user. Rename that to user_old. Restart OpenOffice and you should get the registration screen. Is Calc now stable?
Windows 10 and Linux Mint, since 2017
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
FJCC

Postby Bruce Biley » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:27 pm

The Find search works fine in a text document, it only crashes OpenOffice when a Find search is done in a spreadsheet. I tried the user change, that did not work.
Bruce Biley

Postby John_Ha » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:31 pm

Does it do it with all files? or just with one file?

If with all files then:
1. Uninstall AOO
2. Delete the User Profile at C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user.
3. Download AOO from http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html
4. Install AOO

Also be sure to have installed a 32-bit Java as well as the conventional 64-bit Java.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Last edited by John_Ha on Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AOO 4.1.6, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Manual, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and the Writer guide.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:32 pm

Check that your Win 10 installation is fully updated. There are many reports of some Win 10 updates causing OO problems, which have been cured by later revised updates.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Xubuntu 18.04.2 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby Villeroy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:44 pm

You could also install https://libreoffice.org instead of OpenOffice. LibreOffice is the actively developed successor of OpenOffice which is walking dead meanwhile.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.x
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby Bruce Biley » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:27 pm

I have deleted AOO and reinstalled it, same result - any search in the Find screen in a spreadsheet crashes the whole thing.
Bruce Biley

Postby Villeroy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:43 pm

Bruce Biley wrote:I have deleted AOO and reinstalled it, same result - any search in the Find screen in a spreadsheet crashes the whole thing.

This is not a typical Windows application. Removing and installing the same software again simply puts the same bytes into the same places. The recommendation was to rebuild your profile folder or substitute OpenOffice with LibreOffice.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.x
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby TheDudeAbides » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:45 am

Hello all,
I'm probably going to violate some community guidelines with this post but as this is my first and probably last contribution to the forum I'm posting nonetheless.
As a long time user of OO, I have been having the same crashing problem described in many threads on this forum for about two years. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason to the constant crashing. Maybe it was the carpet pi55ers. We just don't know. I have tried every solution offered without success. If I open more than 2 spreadsheets (and I often have 5 or 6) OO is going to crash. Guaranteed. As long as I saved the doc often and quickly there was usually not a problem. Except, of course, when OO crashed while saving the doc. So, to make a long story short I finally tried the one solution I had rejected out of hand because of how much I like OO. No, I didn't change my user profile AGAIN. I took a great leap of faith and downloaded LibreOffice and ABRACAPOCUS--PROBLEM SOLVED! So good luck and Happy Trails to everyone struggling with the same problem!
I'm going bowling
The Dude
Open Office 4.1.5
Windows 10 Home
TheDudeAbides

Return to MS Windows