How to make a text "tm" symbol a superscript?

Discuss the drawing application

How to make a text "tm" symbol a superscript?

Postby david7365 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:54 pm

I'm drawing a simple text logo: NSR™ . Note the "tm" symbol at the right end, almost correctly positioned in this forum as a superscript.

When I use OO > Draw > Text to enter this string, it positions the "tm" symbol slightly above the baseline, vertically. If I now select the "tm" symbol and click OO > Draw > Format > Character... > Position > Superscript, the "tm" symbol doesn't move! It stays slightly above the baseline, vertically.

But I want the "tm" symbol to be in the usual place: at the top right of the logo.

I've tried changing all sorts of internal parameters and can only get the symbol to move up to about half the character height. I want to position it in the usual superscript position, at the top of the characters.

I've searched the Web, and no one has reported this as a problem. What am I misunderstanding? :?:
david7365

Re: How to make a text "tm" symbol a superscript?

Postby John_Ha » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:58 pm

Please upload a small file showing the problem so that it can be analysed.
AOO 4.1.6, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Manual, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and the Writer guide.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: How to make a text "tm" symbol a superscript?

Postby keme » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:21 pm

The TM character is sized differently depending on which font face you use. I find that it generally appears too large. In Tahoma and Verdana it is visibly less than half heigth, but others that I have tried have too large TM glyphs for my liking. Superscripting a glyph which is already a superscript is rarely a good idea.

Workaround: Try to type TM with letters and format that as superscript. If it does not come out right, try to adjust the default settings. I find that size between 30%-40% and displacement 50%-60% give satisfactory results.
Note that this is only a visual workaround. If you need the document to contain the TM character itself, you can insert that as an object property for your text box.
keme
Volunteer

Return to Draw