Database Recovery

Discuss the database features

Database Recovery

Postby ridgedale » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:09 pm

I have been passed some archive files for race results one of which appears to be corrupted.

I've tried the steps provided in the following tutorial: https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17125 and get the following errors when the file is unzipped using 7-Zip:
Unexpected end of data
Data error: database\data

It looks like the data file has been damaged at some point and contains little of the data it should have.
However, the backup file contained in the database folder appears to be intact.

My question is whether or not it is possible to recover database using the backup file.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
OpenOffice 3.3 on Windows 7 Pro + JRE 6 Update 22 and JRE 8 Update 144 / OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 8.1 Pro + JRE 8 Update 192 / OpenOffice 4.1.6 on MacOSX 10.7.5 + JRE 8 Update 161 / OpenOffice 4.1.6 on MacOS 10.12.6 + JRE 10.0.2
ridgedale

Re: Database Recovery

Postby Sliderule » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:51 pm

Please post your database file ( *.odb ) to this forum, OR, a link from a web site where I can download it, and, I will attempt to repair your file.

Sliderule
Sliderule
Volunteer

Postby ridgedale » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:30 pm

Hi Sliderule,
Thank you for your reply and offer. However owing to the personal data contained in the database the file cannot be shared.
Are you able to share the procedure you intended to use to attempt the repair? Or would you have been attempting the repair with a commercial tool?
OpenOffice 3.3 on Windows 7 Pro + JRE 6 Update 22 and JRE 8 Update 144 / OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 8.1 Pro + JRE 8 Update 192 / OpenOffice 4.1.6 on MacOSX 10.7.5 + JRE 8 Update 161 / OpenOffice 4.1.6 on MacOS 10.12.6 + JRE 10.0.2
ridgedale

Postby Sliderule » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:53 pm

ridgedale wrote:Hi Sliderule,
Thank you for your reply and offer. However owing to the personal data contained in the database the file cannot be shared.
Are you able to share the procedure you intended to use to attempt the repair? Or would you have been attempting the repair with a commercial tool?

No, not a commercial tool.

Since OpenOffice / LibreOffice Base is not a database, but rather a front-end to various database back-ends, and, you have not indicated your database back-end, and, you have elected to not allow me to see the corrupt *.odb file, I cannot help.

Please read, for whatever database back-end you are using, your database documentation.

While I have been able to repair over 75 corrupt Base files ( *.odb ) not all could be recovered, depending on which pieces inside the ZIP file are available ( not corrupt ) . See forum post:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=71046

Sliderule
Sliderule
Volunteer

Return to Base