OpenOffice question mark of Death

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua

OpenOffice question mark of Death

Postby RichardGomila » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:44 pm

Hi a strange event has occurred today whereby Open Office will not open any files or allow me to start any new docs. When I open any files the viewer shows a question mark with no data shown. File name is shown at the top of the page. The Program did crash earlier today and requested I start in recovery mode which I denied.

I have downloaded a fresh copy and the program is still not working. How do I resolve this on my MAC.

Many thanks

Richard
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 mac
RichardGomila

Re: Open Office question mark of Death

Postby RoryOF » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:36 pm

I'm not a Mac user, so take my advice in that light: I would uninstall OpenOffice, then powerdown, wait about 20 seconds for the internal power to die before restarting, then restart your computer, and reinstall OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Xubuntu 18.04 (mostly 64 bit version) and infrequently on Win2K/XP
14 October 2016 was Pooh's 90th birthday
RoryOF

Re: Open Office question mark of Death

Postby MrProgrammer » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:56 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

RichardGomila wrote:When I open any files the viewer shows a question mark with no data shown. File name is shown at the top of the page. The Program did crash earlier today and requested I start in recovery mode which I denied.
[Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q02/A02 or Q28/A28 or Q01/A01. Maybe Q15/A15 or Q39/A39 or Q40/A40. Reboot your Mac if you have not done that. I don't recall seeing this problem reported previously, so experiment. It is important that you report how you solved the problem so others can benefit from your experience. Hints to install or remove OpenOffice on a Mac are in Q03/A03 and Q04/A04.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.5 Build 9789 on Mac OS 10.11.6.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
MrProgrammer
Volunteer

Return to Mac OSX