Printer not compatible with software?

Talk about anything at all....

Printer not compatible with software?

Postby theterryb » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:53 pm

Hi everyone

I've been using OpenOffice for a while now, around 2~ years on my mac, but for some reason my printer stopped working yesterday when I sent a document to it.

It's really weird, I've tried turning everything off/on & contacted Sharp who claim that it's not the printer.

Tempted to move over completely to G suite at this point for my business. If anyone has had any similiar issues (esp the model) it would be of great help.

Sharp AR 5620 is the model
https://www.sharp-cee.com/cps/rde/xbcr/ ... _sp_eq.pdf
https://photocopiercompare.co.uk/sharp-ar-5620/
Just your average OpenOffice user
NeoOffice 2.2.3 with MacOS 10.4
theterryb

Re: Printer not compatible with software?

Postby MrProgrammer » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:30 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

theterryb wrote:Printer not compatible with software?
If the printer was compatible yesterday, it would be compatible today unless you installed new software. Only you know if you did that.

theterryb wrote:my printer stopped working yesterday
The first step is to check whether other software can print. Try to print from Safari, or Calendar, or Mail. If those can't print either, it's not an OpenOffice problem. You didn't tell us if you've tried that.

If other software can print, try both OpenOffice print dialogs. [Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q35/A35

If neither dialog works, with Use OpenOffice dialogs unchecked, the Mac print dialog has a PDF button. Try creating a PDF and printing that. Q36/A36

"stopped working" is vague. For example, if someone has a print range defined in a Calc spreadsheet but entered data only outside that range, when the spreadsheet is printed only the empty print range is sent to the printer. The sheet of paper is empty, thus one might complain that the printer "stopped working". But there is nothing wrong with Calc or the printer. The data needs to be moved into the print range or the print range needs to be redefined to include the data. Or if the printer is low on ink, someone might say it has "stopped working" because the printing is faint. A color printer out of yellow ink (or with a clogged yellow ink nozzle) will print green as blue, which could be considered "not working". We have no idea what "stopped working" means.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.5 Build 9789 on Mac OS 10.11.6.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
MrProgrammer
Volunteer

Postby bichngoc94 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:55 am

Tried to disable policy and also create new port for printer
bichngoc94

Postby RoryOF » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:58 am

Can you print from other applications on your computer? What type of printer? How is it connected?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Xubuntu 18.04 (mostly 64 bit version) and infrequently on Win2K/XP
14 October 2016 was Pooh's 90th birthday
RoryOF

Postby theterryb » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:09 am

Thanks for your help guys! In the end I restarted my machine, restarted the printer/photocopier and I had the same problem. Once I restarted both bits twice, it worked. I don't know what the problem was, I tried using notepad to print and I had the same problem. Looks like it may have been my set up rather than openoffice itself.
Just your average OpenOffice user
theterryb

Postby RoryOF » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:14 am

It sometimes depends on the order of starting. If you get a continuing problem you might need to turn your printer on about 20 seconds before your computer, so that printer has properly rebooted and settled down; it can then report its presence to the computer, which it might not do correctly or at all if still in the reboot process.

Hopefully, the problem will now be settled - but at least you know the printer woks, so it should merely be a matter of configuration.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Xubuntu 18.04 (mostly 64 bit version) and infrequently on Win2K/XP
14 October 2016 was Pooh's 90th birthday
RoryOF

Return to General Discussion