Annoying Shift + Enter thing & why no tabs?

Discuss the word processor

Annoying Shift + Enter thing & why no tabs?

Postby Kaline » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:07 am

Hello, I'm very new to Open Office and actually just downloaded it a few days ago... I am used to another Word Processor called Atlantis which I've used for many years and since I write for a living, I've been looking for a decent free alternative. I also have OCD so it's very hard to find a program that accommodates that, since many of the little things that irk me are centered around writing and layouts. I just want something simple and easy to use. I've been able to set up most things to my liking and even figured out how to make Templates on my own. So I have a few questions, and hopefully someone out there can help me with this, because I've tried everything.

The thing that's bothering me the most is when I press Shift + Enter, it puts an entire extra line in between that line and the next one. It's the most annoying thing EVER to me and I am so frustrated! Basically when it should only skip down once, it's doing it twice. How can I change it so that pressing Shift + Enter only causes it to go down to the next line like normal? For some of the websites where I post my work, it will just run everything together when I press Enter without also pressing Shift, like it codes it incorrectly or something, so I have no other choice. The point that I'm trying to get across here is that using Enter without Shift is just is not an option, so please don't suggest that. I've tried looking under Options and Paragraph and in different places but I don't know the technical term for what I'm looking for here or where to find it in this program?

Second thing... Atlantis has actual tabs at the bottom of the program, sort of like how Chrome has them at the top of the screen, and this way you don't have to have like half a million windows open when you're working on multiple things at once. I'm a chronic multi-tasker, so this is an important feature for me. Is there any way to set this program up to display different documents in tabs instead of each one having to be in an entirely new window? Aside from these two problems that I've found, I think it's a great program with a lot of potential.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. ♥ Thanks!
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
Kaline

Re: Annoying Shift + Enter thing & why no tabs?

Postby robleyd » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:56 am

Is there any way to set this program up to display different documents in tabs

No. This has been requested as a feature since around 2003 and hasn't yet happened - see the relevant bug report/request. Alternatives at the moment are to use the Window list from the top menu, or use Alt + ` (the backtick) to toggle between open windows.
Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 RC1 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7 Virtual machine
robleyd

Postby Villeroy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:43 am

You don't want this program. Try something like this: https://gottcode.org/focuswriter/
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, OpenOffice 4.x & LibreOffice 6.x
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby jrkrideau » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:18 pm

Kaline wrote:The thing that's bothering me the most is when I press Shift + Enter, it puts an entire extra line in between that line and the next one.

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Are you formatting your text as double spaced? If I set my paragraph style to Line Spacing = Double I get your result. See the attached image.

Unfortunately I cannot think of a way to switch spacing within a paragraph. The best I can suggest is switching paragraph Styles.

Perhaps you could upload a small example of the text you are working with and we could see if there is anything we can suggest. [Forum] How to attach a document here

Opps, forgot. There are tabs. Ideally you would set them in the Styles you are using. If you are creating or modifing a Style there is a TAB tab.

If you are not seeing the tabs try View > Ruler
Attachments
Double.space.png
AOO 4.1.5; Ubuntu 18.04
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Postby John_Ha » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:19 pm

1. View > Non printing characters ... It will show you what is happening. Shift+Enter gives a line break (back-arrow) but Enter gives a new paragraph (¶ pilcrow).

Clipboard01.gif
Clipboard01.gif (4.08 KiB) Viewed 287 times

2. Highlight some text. Format > Paragraph > Indents and Spacing. What are you telling Writer to do?

Clipboard03.gif

As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem

The chapter headings in the manual are:

1 - Introducing Writer
2 - Setting up Writer
3 - Working with Text
4 - Formatting Pages
5 - Printing, Exporting, Faxing and E-Mailing
6 - Introduction to Styles
7 - Working with Styles
8 - Working with Graphics
9 - Working with Tables
10 - Working with Templates
11 - Using Mail Merge
12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
13 - Working with Master Documents
14 - Working with Fields
15 - Using Forms in Writer
16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts.

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.
AOO 4.1.5, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Manual, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and the Writer guide.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Return to Writer