Excel for experts

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Draecko

Excel for experts

Post by Draecko »

I'm trying to set up a budget for a business and I'm trying to select a few rows and columns that will act as it's own separate spreadsheet so that I can add information to it without having an infinitely long spread sheet. I've set up most of it but it's this one thing that I'm having trouble with. Please let me know if there's any way to fix this and thank you ahead of time for all your help.
Attachments
it's the section selected under the Misc row.
it's the section selected under the Misc row.
Open Office 4.1.5 and Windows 10 with all the latest updates.
RusselB

Re: Excel for experts

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the OpenOffice Forums.
There are a lot of differences between Excel (mentioned in your title) and Calc (the OpenOffice spreadsheet).
From what I can see in your attachment, the only way I know of getting something like that, is to put the Rows/columns that you want to act independently into either a different spreadsheet (with a different name) or a different tab on your current spreadsheet.
By default, when you start a new spreadsheet, it starts up with 3 tabs.
As this is for a budget, you will run into problems with more advanced accounting procedures.
Regarding the length of the spreadsheet, there is a limitation of 1,048,576 rows per tab, and a limit (I believe) of 1,024 tabs. You will run into timing difficulties long before you reach these limits.
In Canada, a business has to keep their records for a minimum of 10 years in case the CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) decides to audit the business.
Keeping information for that amount of time can lead to a lot of information, so most businesses actually use a database for their accounting (or a professional accountant, which probably uses a database).
To summarize, especially if you're just staring on this project and don't have a lot of data to already be entered, consider using a database. The learning curve is, imo, harder than that of going from Excel to Calc, but for something like this, well worth it.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.