OpenOffice Formatting doesn't Match Mac vs Windows

Discuss the word processor

OpenOffice Formatting doesn't Match Mac vs Windows

Postby mkellam2 » Fri May 11, 2018 12:31 am

Hi,

I’m running Open Office 4.1.5 on a Mac (version 10.10.5)

I’m trying to collaborate with someone on a project and she is on a computer running Open Office 4.1.5 on Windows 10.

When I receive and download her files, a couple of things are not laid out the way she set them up. The main issue is that page breaks she added on the original document are apparently not translating to my Open Office. Some items that begin a new page on her version are instead on the previous page immediately following the previous content on my version.

This is when I download to my computer and open in Open Office.

If I view her file in dropbox in Google Chrome, the page breaks are fine.

Can you give me any suggestion as to why this might be and how I can be sure the document will look the same on both computers?

Thanks a bunch for your thoughts…

Michael
----
Michael Kellam
Open Office 4.1.5 running on Mac OS X 10.10.5
mkellam2

Re: Open Office Formatting doesn't Match Mac vs Windows

Postby robleyd » Fri May 11, 2018 2:37 am

My first thought would be missing fonts; the creator of the document has fonts installed which are not available on the other computer.

This post by John_Ha on a similar problem explains a little more and gives some further hints.
Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
robleyd

Re: Open Office Formatting doesn't Match Mac vs Windows

Postby John_Ha » Fri May 11, 2018 11:35 am

AOO 4.1.5, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Manual, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and the Writer guide.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: OpenOffice Formatting doesn't Match Mac vs Windows

Postby Bill » Fri May 11, 2018 8:26 pm

Font substitution wouldn't explain why a page break moves unless the page breaks were "added" by pressing Enter to move content to a new page, but that's not actually a page break.
AOO 4.1.5 and LO 6.0.3.2 on Manjaro MATE
Bill
Volunteer

Postby RoryOF » Fri May 11, 2018 8:37 pm

The "page breaks" may have been "added" by insertion of empty paragraphs; automatically substituted fonts could then cause them to move.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Xubuntu 18.04 (mostly 64 bit version) and infrequently on Win2K/XP
14 October 2016 was Pooh's 90th birthday
RoryOF

Postby mkellam2 » Thu May 17, 2018 6:25 pm

Hi everyone.

Thanks a bunch for all the ideas. I appreciate your responses.

Regarding font substitution, we are using the same fonts on both computers and the fonts are displaying correctly on the same version of Open Office on both computers.

If I view the file in the previewer on Dropbox, Dropbox displays the page breaks properly even though the fonts are substituted in the Dropbox preview. BUT Open Office on the Mac does not displays the page breaks properly.

It would not be an issue of spacing with carriage returns (pressing Enter) because we are inserting page breaks by selecting INSERT>MANUAL BREAK>PAGE BREAK.

I thought maybe it was related to the fact that, even though we are using Open Office we were saving as .doc files, BUT I had our assistant save her correct file as an ODT File and re-upload and when I opened the .odt file in my Open Office, the result was the same.

So I’m a bit baffled as to what could be the problem. Any other thoughts?

Thanks again! Michael

Recap of the issue:

1) File is formatted correctly on Open Office 4.1.5 on Windows 10, then uploaded to Dropbox.

2) Page Breaks display correctly in dropbox previewer.

3) If I download from Dropbox and open on Open Office 4.1.5 on a Mac v 10.10.5, the page breaks are not translated.

It almost appears that when my Open Office for Mac opens the file that it interprets the Open Office for Windows page breaks as single carriage returns.

The only difference I can determine is that one computer is Windows and the other Mac.
----
Michael Kellam
mkellam2

Postby RoryOF » Thu May 17, 2018 6:44 pm

As an aid to finding the problem, install and run the TestFonts extension on both computers, running it in the file in question. This wlll show if there are substituted fonts - the fonts OO displays are the fonts being requested, not the fonts actually used.

It has been known that minor differences in the versions fonts used can cause problems,
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Xubuntu 18.04 (mostly 64 bit version) and infrequently on Win2K/XP
14 October 2016 was Pooh's 90th birthday
RoryOF

Postby John_Ha » Thu May 17, 2018 7:19 pm

Did you read Item 3 in [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files? And do the tests it suggests? If so, what was the result?

See the Writer Manual, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and the Writer guide.

John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby mkellam2 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:04 pm

Hi! Thanks again for answering. I have not tried using the TestFonts extension, but I will get with our assistant and we can install it on both computers. When I first sent her the document template, her computer indicated some fonts were missing, so we identified all the fonts in the document and I packaged all of the fonts, which she installed on her computer. It did not occur to me to check to make sure that the system is actually using the fonts I sent her.

I noticed you (RoryOF) said "It has been known that minor differences in the versions fonts used can cause problems". Does this mean it might be the correct font, but a different version? I was not aware that fonts had different versions. Does this mean updates to a specific font (like Arial v1, v2, etc.) or different version styles (as in Arial, Arial Black, etc.)?
----
Michael Kellam
mkellam2

Postby mkellam2 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:35 pm

One other thing - I have often used the .doc extension even though we're using exclusively Open Office because with less critical shared documents, many people claim they can't open the .odt. But since, in this sase, we're using the same software (Open Office 4.1.5), I realize it would have been better to use .odt from the beginning.

At this point, if we save a correct document as an .odt, would changes moving forward normally keep any new open document formatting not supported by other file types? Or would new additions and corrections to the doc still lose the formatting even if we saved the existing as .odt? I hope that makes sense.

Thanks again! Michael
----
Michael Kellam
mkellam2

Postby John_Ha » Thu May 17, 2018 11:18 pm

I am guessing but I doubt that minor changes between font versions would lead to large changes but I could easily be wrong. Remember, if the page text area is 170 mm wide, and the text on a line is 169.99 mm wide, the line of text will fit in. If a font change means that line of text is now 170.01mm wide - a trivial change - the last word will spill.

As for .doc files read the tutorial for all you need to know - there is no need for me to repeat myself here.

John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby jrkrideau » Thu May 17, 2018 11:58 pm

mkellam2 wrote:At this point, if we save a correct document as an .odt, would changes moving forward normally keep any new open document formatting not supported by other file types? Or would new additions and corrections to the doc still lose the formatting even if we saved the existing as .odt? I hope that makes sense.

Kinda. If you save in .odt format, any changes that use new open document formatting will retain these in an .odt file.
Those changes "should" be supported in other software that claims to be ODF compliant and provides the same feature. For example some AOO features will not tranfer to AbiWord because Abiword is a less sophisticated word processor. Both are OFD compliant.

They "should" transport to something like Word which usually offers comparable features but Word's compliance with ODF standards is a bit murky. My guess is that most everything will translate.
OpenOffice 4.1.4 Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Postby mkellam2 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:10 am

John - The problem is not spill over, but spill back. i.e. a page break from OO on the PC that doesn't render on OO on the Mac, causing the item that has been formatted to be on the next page to be appended to the page before it instead, rather than something being pushed to the next page. Does that make sense?

So basically, page 2 content is continued on page 1 rather than starting on page 2, as if Open Office For Mac ignored the page break added in Open Office For Windows.

I am going to test the items I have not yet tested from that post on the fonts, but still unclear how a font issue might cause page breaks not to work. I'll report back with the results...

Thanks!
----
Michael Kellam
mkellam2

Postby John_Ha » Fri May 18, 2018 11:47 am

Upload a small 2 page example file showing the problem.

We are not magicians who can operate your PC. We need cooperation from you and for you to answer the questions you are asked and for you to read the links you are given.

What happened when you ran TestFonts on both PCs?

John_Ha
Volunteer

Return to Writer