[Issue] Check for Updates feature fails

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?

Re: [Issue] Check for Updates feature fails

Postby DOBRESCUMihai19 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:59 pm

kbellis wrote:Not that I'm overly bugged by it, but have there been any updates on this updates bug? I noticed it still present in oo v4.1.6.

|
+___Hi, "Kelly".
|
+___After Numerous Digging Interventions related to this Issue, we have decided to choose "The Document Foundation" "LibreOffice" Desktop Software Suite that apparently is a Fork of the "Apache" "OpenOffice" Desktop Software Suite.
|
+___"LibreOffice" does not seem to have these kinds of Issues. The Cross-Platform Open-Sourced Software Applications should be able to be compiled, configured and run on any kind of Software Architecture. In reality, they are not that flexible.
|
+___Still, if you get used to them, then you may use them both on the Olden "Microsoft" "Windows" Family of Operating Systems and on your favorite "Linux" Distributions, such as the "Ubuntu" Distributions.
|
+___Our Approach has also been to subscribe to the "Microsoft" "Windows" "Office 365" Monthly Channelled-Desktop Software Suite. The Idea is that they work on a Personal Computing Triad made of a Laptop Personal Computer, a Tablet Personal Computer and a SmartPhone. They are still under a Continuous and Utterly Hazardous Software Development Process.
|
+___Also, the Proud "Microsoft" "Windows" "Office 365" "OutLook" Electronic Mail Client/Desktop Software Application is sometimes taking around Two Proud Minutes (!) in order to load itself, with all of its Add-ons, such as the "Symantec" "Norton Anti-Spam" Add-on and the "Grammarly" Add-on. Under these circumstances, what can one talk about Performance?
|
+___Our General Impression is that the current Information Technology and Telecommunications World is Completely Schizophrenic. Twenty Years Ago, it was much, much easier to maintain a Yearly Versioning System or a Trimester-Sectioned Versioning System.
|
+___These days, the "Update" Term seems to confuse each and everyone so that everybody is continuously Updating, Installing, Reinstalling and Reconfiguring the same thing over and over again, for no apparent gain. Where has this "Update" Term surfaced from? From the Army? Are we preparing for some kind of War?
|
+___In short, if something does not appear to be working, then just wait for a year or so and then try again. Maybe then it will work.
|
+___UPDATE: In our humble opinion, the Wikipedia Online Encyclopædia is basically just a Bunch of Random Ideas written by anyone who has access to a Personal Computer Keyboard.
|
+___Still, we were quite curious about their view upon the Update Term. On this occasion, we have read Yet Another Useless Article, without being able to reach any Definite Conclusion upon the Possible Cause of the Current Overall, World-Wide Schizophrenic Updating Process.
|
+___Furthermore, we have found Yet Another Piece of Useless Information, the one referring to the Fact that the "Apache Server" Name was originally a Pun coming from the "a patchy server" Expression:
|
+___
The Apache HTTP Server originally evolved as a number of patches that Brian Behlendorf collated to improve NCSA HTTPd, hence a name that implies that it is a collection of patches ("a patchy server").

|
+___The Abovementioned Article consists mainly of a Bunch of Information Technology Term Definitions. In reality, the Current Updating Process is more or less a Random Process of Additions and Changes that are far away from what once used to be a Sane, Consolidated Release Process.
"Microsoft" "Windows" "10" "April Update" 1803 Operating System Build 17134.472 (x64).

"LibreOffice" 6.1.3.2 (x64).

"Microsoft" "Windows" "Office 365" Monthly Channel (x64).
DOBRESCUMihai19

Location: Bucharest, România, South-Eastern Europe, Northern Hemisphere.

Postby robleyd » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:20 pm

UPDATE: In our humble opinion, the Wikipedia Online Encyclopædia is basically just a Bunch of Random Ideas written by anyone who has access to a Personal Computer Keyboard

Apparently this is not restricted just to Wikipedia...
Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice Developer Build 4.2.0 9820 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7 Virtual machine
robleyd

Postby DOBRESCUMihai19 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:46 am

robleyd wrote:Apparently, this is not restricted just to Wikipedia...

|
+___Here, "robleyd", let us help you: this is The Other Cheek: ;) Slap this one also, please.
"Microsoft" "Windows" "10" "April Update" 1803 Operating System Build 17134.472 (x64).

"LibreOffice" 6.1.3.2 (x64).

"Microsoft" "Windows" "Office 365" Monthly Channel (x64).
DOBRESCUMihai19

Location: Bucharest, România, South-Eastern Europe, Northern Hemisphere.

Postby r l » Fri May 03, 2019 5:35 pm

Over a year and still not fixed! ...

Oh and it's not a dead project because 4.1.6 has since been released in the meantime and 4.1.5 doesn't detect it. "Checking for an update failed." "Error reading data from the Internet. Server error message: ."
Open Office 4.1.3 on Windows 10
r l

Postby Lang1952 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:53 am

DOBRESCUMihai19 wrote:
robleyd wrote:For information, this issue has been reported as a bug

Dear Members of the "OpenOffice" Community Forum,

Dear Members of the Team of Moderators of the "OpenOffice" Community Forum,

On the Fated Date of Friday, April 06, 2018, at precisely 10:14 P.M., I have started Another Thread about This Issue.

Now I am discovering in Utter Amazement that This Issue had already been proudly reported on Another Fated Date of Thursday, March 08, 2018, at precisely 12:37 A.M., on This Thread. It is difficult to be original these days, while living among Seven Billion Brains who are currently roaming around our Planet.

This Forum has surely not been designed in order to be intended to be used as an Issue Tracking Tool and yet I am sure that there can be found a way to mark my Thread as a Duplicate of This Thread. Although not everybody is interested in Software Development Field, this action might prove useful to those who are concerned by this Field.

Generally, I have found a Simple Solution for solving These Kinds of Problems: simply disable the Updating Systems. For most of the Software Applications, it is quite easy to perform such an action, while for Operating Systems it can be a little bit trickier. Recently, I have managed to disable the Updating System of the "Microsoft" "Windows" 10 Operating System, only to discover after a while that they have managed to re-enable it back somehow. The "Microsoft" Corporation is moving in mysterious ways these days.

Best Regards,
DOBRESCU_Mihai,
"United_D.M.! - Software for the Future"

I am having this problem and yes the windows one as well. MS restart the updates every time they run and it is really annoying, I have them stopped because I am fed up with having to re-install my software every time theirs goes wrong 4 times and counting, switched them off again.
Open Office 4.1.6 on Windows 10
Lang1952

Postby YODA » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:42 pm

For reporting Bugs or Suggestions to the Devs go here: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=13490
Openoffice4.16 on windows 10 Libreoffice Version: 6.1.3.2 (x64)
YODA

Postby RoryOF » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:14 pm

Lang1952 wrote:
I am having this problem and yes the windows one as well. MS restart the updates every time they run and it is really annoying, I have them stopped because I am fed up with having to re-install my software every time theirs goes wrong 4 times and counting, switched them off again.

It is your decision what operating system you use. Many volunteers on this forum have changed to some distro of linux. But that would be your decision to make, depending on your computer abiities.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Xubuntu 18.04.3 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby Lang1952 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:20 pm

Agreed, Windows comes bundled with most laptops, but my new machine will be an high end server and Ubuntu will be my choice again.
Open Office 4.1.6 on Windows 10
Lang1952

Previous

Return to Install, Setup and Troubleshooting