[Solved] OpenOffice keeps crashing when I try to use it

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?

[Solved] OpenOffice keeps crashing when I try to use it

Postby turkris63 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:54 pm

I have been using Open Office for several years and I love it! Up until a few weeks ago, that is!

Everytime that I try to work in it, I get a message that OpenOffice has crashed and a report has been sent to determine why it has crashed. It then offers me the opportunity to restore the docuement, but after a minute or so (sometimes as soon as I start to work in it), I get the same result. This is happening in documents that I have used numerous times before as well as new documents that I am trying to create. Sometimes after several times of recovering the document it will start working correctly but other times it does this continuously. I have a direct sales business as well as do a lot of advocating for a son who has autism and a boyfriend who is disabled after 21 years of Army combat service.

What could be causing this to happen? I would really hate to have to switch to a different program. Thank you!
Last edited by thomasjk on Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mark thread [Solved] and add green checkmark
OpenOffice 4.1.3 Windows 10
turkris63

Re: OpenOffice keeps crashing when I try to use it

Postby thomasjk » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:33 pm

Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1709 16299.125
LibreOffice 5.3.7.2
thomasjk
Volunteer

Postby acknak » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:35 pm

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

When OO suddenly starts acting strangely, it's often cured by a fresh OO settings profile. This just means exiting OO, renaming (or removing) the folder where OO stores all its settings, then restarting OO. It will then create a new settings profile folder.

For details, see: [Tutorial] The OOo user profile

PS: Oops! Too slow.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Postby turkris63 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:04 pm

Thank you both! My boyfriend sat down on my laptop and reset something within our malware software settings and that also seems to have taken care of it! I just completed a 4-page document with no issues. However, I am keeping the info you provided for future reference!

It is so good to know that there are people out there willing to help! Thanks again!
OpenOffice 4.1.3 Windows 10
turkris63

Re: [Solved] OpenOffice keeps crashing when I try to use it

Postby thebeacondeacon » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:29 am

Even though this is a viable work around, it also means losing one's preferences and custom settings.

Can the Apache developers' group come up with either a series of error traps within Open Office to neutralize the consequences of the detection of these errors or a way of storing the user preferences, so that they can be copied to the new profile folder?

This issue is more than five years old, and it is worthy of a fix at this point.

Best regards,
Michael Eisen
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
thebeacondeacon

Postby Villeroy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:50 am

thebeacondeacon wrote:Even though this is a viable work around, it also means losing one's preferences and custom settings.

Can the Apache developers' group come up with either a series of error traps within Open Office to neutralize the consequences of the detection of these errors or a way of storing the user preferences, so that they can be copied to the new profile folder?

This issue is more than five years old, and it is worthy of a fix at this point.

Best regards,
Michael Eisen

OpenOffice is almost dead. https://libreoffice.org/ is its legitimate successor.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 16.04, OpenOffice 4.x & LibreOffice 5.x
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby John_Ha » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:05 am

thebeacondeacon wrote:Even though this is a viable work around, it also means losing one's preferences and custom settings.

Not so - just copy back the rest of the profile ignoring \config an registrymodificatons.xcu.
AOO 4.1.5, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Manual, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and the Writer guide.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby robleyd » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:43 am

For more information on the user profile and what it contains, see [Tutorial]The OpenOffice User Profile
Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
robleyd

Postby misitu » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:14 am

re
" My boyfriend sat down on my laptop and reset something within our malware software settings and that also seems to have taken care of it!"

Yup I had this problem for a while, first a large spreadsheet crashing a few seconds after opening, then the main database doing the same thing. But after a few hiccups, managed to run

I tried the "corrupt user profile" cure but found I'd already tried that a few months back (evidence: saved user profile folder).

However this malware detection issue had some promise.

I went into my malware sys (Emsisoft: will be logging this with them) and change the behaviour blocker setting all the AOO exe files to TRUSTED and DON'T MONITOR. So far, a few hours down the road, good stuff.

There was a clue somewhere else about AOO not liking other active processes poking its components. We have a legal term for that over here, it's called "Acoso".

Cheers and many thanks to turkris63
OpenOffice 4.1.1
HSQLDB 2.3.4
Windows 7 HP / Windows 10
OOBasic
misitu

Return to Install, Setup and Troubleshooting