Password files will not open and OO will not save with past

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua

Password files will not open and OO will not save with past

Postby ATY » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:55 am

I have been using 2 password protected files (spreadsheets) for almost 6 years without any problem and suddenly the software displays a message"the password is incorrect. File can not be opened". The password is correct 100%. I checked it with an Excell format of the file which I was able to open with "Numbers". Unfortunately OO format files can not be opened with Numbers, so I am really in big trouble. Whats more, OO refuses to save files with a message "Error saving the document. General error. General input/output error". HELP PLEASE I NEED THESE DATA
Open Office 3.1 on OS X El Capitan Ver 10.11.3
ATY

Re: Password files will not open and OO will not save with p

Postby ATY » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:28 pm

One additional thing. I have just opened an old Excell file with no problem and saved it with a password. It does not want to either open or save recent password files
Open Office 3.1 on OS X El Capitan Ver 10.11.3
ATY

Postby MrProgrammer » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:23 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

ATY wrote:I have been using 2 password protected files (spreadsheets) for almost 6 years without any problem and suddenly the software displays a message"the password is incorrect. File can not be opened".
Please search first before posting. There are more than 75 topics about passwords on Mac OS X and you could have found an answer without waiting for a reply. For example: [Solved] Unchanged password not accepted

ATY wrote:General error. General input/output error".
Search found 24 matches: +general +error Look for one that matches your symptoms.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.5 Build 9789 on Mac OS 10.11.6.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
MrProgrammer
Volunteer

Postby Sea Mac » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:32 am

ATY wrote:I have been using 2 password protected files (spreadsheets) for almost 6 years without any problem and suddenly the software displays a message"the password is incorrect. File can not be opened". The password is correct 100%. I checked it with an Excell format of the file which I was able to open with "Numbers". Unfortunately OO format files can not be opened with Numbers, so I am really in big trouble. Whats more, OO refuses to save files with a message "Error saving the document. General error. General input/output error". HELP PLEASE I NEED THESE DATA

I know of a SURE workaround for "The password is incorrect. The file cannot be opened."
Simply switch to LibreOffice ... that's what I did ... problem solved: the password works again.
This problem has been in the OpenOffice codebase for over a DECADE - affecting ANY password protected file type - and the developers are powerless to find and fix it.
If you don't believe me - search the forum for

The password is incorrect

for yourself, and you'll see most of them conclude "LibreOffice Worked!!!"
This problem was why I switched to LibreOffice 4 years ago ... as I found no help here. They gave me the brush off also.
Sea Mac

Return to Mac OSX