Multiple page types and page numbers problem

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
brucem9999

Multiple page types and page numbers problem

Post by brucem9999 »

I'm using OpenOffice 4.1.1 and/or LibreOffice 4.3.4.1

I am reformatting a book I wrote a few years ago in order to publish a Version 2.

I have defined the following page types:

Left Page No Page Nbr
Left Page Roman
Left Page Arabic
Right Page No Page Nbr
Right Page Roman
Right Page Arabic

because I have a different watermark on the left and right pages and I want to use Roman numerals and then switch to Arabic in the body of the book. They are all copies of the original Left Page and Right Page types except for the different watermark.

I want the first few pages to have no page numbers, then switch to Roman numerals, then switch to Arabic numerals.

I can insert a page number at the bottom center of any page fine, which propagates to all of the pages of that type, but I'm having trouble starting with page iii ... and then switching to 1

Help says the following:

To Start With a Defined Page Number
Now you want some more control on page numbers. You are writing a text document that should start with
page number 12.
1. Click into the first paragraph of your document.
2. Choose Format - Paragraph - Text flow.
3. In the Breaks area, enable Insert. Enable With Page Style just to be able to set the new Page number. Click OK.

When I click anywhere on the first page (or any page!) of the doc and then go to Format / Paragraph / Text Flow, the Insert box is grayed out.

Can someone please give me the step-by-step instructions to get this entire page number scenario implemented?

Also, I have one graphic watermark on one page for which I do not have the original jpg that I copied into Page / Background area when I originally wrote the book. Is there a way to copy the image in Page / Background out of there and then save it again as a jpg outside of the book? I've tried right clicking, etc, with no luck.
I'm using OpenOffice 4.1.1 and/or LibreOffice 4.3.4.1, Win 7 and XP
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Mulriple page types and page numbers problem

Post by Zizi64 »

Help says the following:

To Start With a Defined Page Number
Now you want some more control on page numbers. You are writing a text document that should start with
page number 12.
1. Click into the first paragraph of your document.
2. Choose Format - Paragraph - Text flow.
3. In the Breaks area, enable Insert. Enable With Page Style just to be able to set the new Page number. Click OK.

When I click anywhere on the first page (or any page!) of the doc and then go to Format / Paragraph / Text Flow, the Insert box is grayed out.
It works for me in AOO4.1.1.

Just click first on checkboxes to enable functions:
insert.png
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

From memory (imperfect) this arises if the cursor is positioned (perhaps) in a header or footer. Definitely something to do with the cursor position - perhaps in a frame?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
brucem9999

Post by brucem9999 »

Thanks, Tibor, for your response. But what check boxes are you talking about to enable functions??
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

He iis referring to the checkboxes on that window, as shown in his posting. If they are greyed out then, as I said above, it is possible your cursor is in an area such as a header or footer where a page break cannot be inserted.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
brucem9999

Post by brucem9999 »

Thanks Rory. I'll try move the cursor around some more.
brucem9999

Post by brucem9999 »

Yep - I have frames all over the place in my doc and as soon as I click outside the frame (in the page margin), the box is available. Thanks.