Linking tutorial to textbook

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
3v0

Linking tutorial to textbook

Post by 3v0 »

I am using OO 2.4 & XP PRO.

I need the reader (person not program) to navigate between a textbook & tutorial. I am willing to combine the documents to make navigation possible. The plan was to export to PDF, but if needed it could remain a OO document. Web pages are not an option.

I know how to use the Navigator to make links to sections within the same document.
Imagine that the reader encounters an unfamiliar term in the tutorial. He clicks on the term and it takes him to textbook section describing the term. The problem is that the user has no back button that would allow him to return to where he was in the tutorial.

A better solution would be to display both the tutorial and textbook at the same time. Clicking a link in one would jump to a section in the other. I do not have a clue if this is possible or how to create it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Re: Linking tutorial to textbook

Post by TheGurkha »

OOo has a thing in it called reminders, which are like bookmarks. They are the thing in the Navigator with the paperclip icon. Perhaps you could use a macro that dropped a reminder before following the hyperlink, so that a placeholder was 'dropped' in the user guide befoer teh reader was taken tot he place in the tutorial. That way there they can return to the reminder when they are through in the tutorial? And I believe some Macros can place buttons on the toolbar, so you could hopefully have something that functioned like a back button. Having said that, I 'm very new to macros so we'll have to wait for a guru to really see if this is feasible.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
Hagar Delest

Re: Linking tutorial to textbook

Post by Hagar Delest »

See also here and vote for the request: [Issue] How to came back from a reference ?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10