Printing Proposals for one company at a time. Mail Merge?

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
abitlater

Printing Proposals for one company at a time. Mail Merge?

Post by abitlater »

Welcome beginner. Please answer all of the questions below which may provide information necessary to answer your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which version of OpenOffice.org are you using? 2.4
What Operating System (version) are you using? OpenSuse 11.0
What is your question or comment?

I have a template document in MS Word for proposals I make to various companies. I want to switch to OpenOffice. In my Writer document, I will have several places throughout the proposal where I reference the Company Name of the business (prospect) that is receiving my proposal. What is the best way to fill in these fields? Mail Merge? My problem is that I will only print one proposal at a time, so if I use a database mail merge, I don't want to print a proposal for each prospect I've entered in the database... I only need the current company's proposal to print.

Thanks for the help.
Brian
OOo 2.4.X on openSuse 11
acknak

Re: Printing Proposals for one company at a time. Mail Merge?

Post by acknak »

This should be fairly simple to do, although there is a fair amount you'll need to learn to be able to do it.

You'll need to learn how to create a data source, and work with it in Writer. I suggest that you try a search here for "data to fields" -- there are some instructions and sample files in several threads, and/or try this recent article: http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/art ... office_org.

You're correct that you don't actually need to do a mail merge; instead, you can simply open your template, select the database record you want to create a proposal for, and click the "Data to fields" button.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23