Upside-down duplex printing

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
perazim

Upside-down duplex printing

Post by perazim »

Running a fresh install of OO 4.1 on Centos 6.5.

Have both a Canon iP4200 and Canon LBP6310. Both are duplex capable and work as advertised on windows.

The iP4200 prints duplex booklets correctly in Linux with the following options:

Document orientation set to portrait in OO. Document orientation set to landscape in printer properties setup with duplex set to short edge flip and layout is set to brochure.

Using the LBP6310, there is no short edge flip option displayed, just the long edge standard which when selected produces the upside-down prining of the rear page, although it may be that it is the front page that is reversed and not the rear page.

Having searched the forums and wikis, I see that this is a common issue for those with duplex capable printers and has been ongoing for many years with no absolute resolution. I have tried using acrobat and got the same results, iP4200 works but LBP6310 does not. Canon refuses support of the the Canon supplied linux printer drivers. I also see from the forums that this problem is not just a Canon problem either. A clue may be that the iP4200 uses only CUPS whereas the LBP6310 also requires the use of the ccpd daemon.

Does anybody has any further understanding of this issue?

Thanks,

Perazim
openoffice 4.1 on centos 6
RoryOF

Re: upside-down duplex printing

Post by RoryOF »

In Acrobat there is, somewhere below the Print Booklet selector, an "automatically rotate pages" option. I think this will invert the second sides.

If you are driving the printer using CUPS, you should be able to select a long side/short side flip. It is so on both my duplex printers using Cups (both Epson).
 Edit: Could the Printer be set to print horizontal by default, and then the flip might be correct 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
perazim

Post by perazim »

Toggling the automatic rotate pages option in acrobat has no effect.

The longside/short side option only works for the iP4200, the LBP6310 shows no short side option.

NOTE: When using acrobat with both the iP4200 and the LBP6310, eventhough two sided booklet printing is set, only the top page is printed.

Perazim
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

perazim wrote: NOTE: When using acrobat with both the iP4200 and the LBP6310, even though two sided booklet printing is set, only the top page is printed.
I had that. Then I purged CUPS and reinstalled from the CUPS site and all was well.
perazim

Post by perazim »

Bwfore I try reinstalling from sources, can you tell me if your print deiver was built into cups or did you have to install something on top of the stock cups system?

The Canon printers are supplied with a linux rpm file that adds ppd files, a filter and the ccpd. The iP4200 works with the stock cups ppd files supplied by lte linux distribution.

Peraziim
perazim

Post by perazim »

I have now tried to install cups-1.7.2

I did a rpmbuild on the source file from cups.org.

This complained about a missing lib package - libusbx. This was distcontinued a few months ago and merged back into libusb. I modified the rpm specfile from cups.org to reflect this but it still did not build complaining of this missing lib eventhough libusb and libusb-devel were installed..

Next I tried a binary build from sources. After running autoconf/configure, this failed with:

Compiling testnotify.c...
Linking testnotify...
Making all in ppdc...
Compiling ppdc-array.cxx...
make[1]: g++: Command not found
make[1]: *** [ppdc-array.o] Error 127
make: *** [all] Error 1

All the requitements listed at cups.org were met and the autoconf/configure completed OK

This not working, I tried to locate a current rpm package of cups at rpmfind only to have centos6 refuse to install it with a lot of incompatible deps.

Any ideas?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

perazim wrote:Bwfore I try reinstalling from sources, can you tell me if your print deiver was built into cups or did you have to install something on top of the stock cups system?
I had to download and install an Epson driver for my WP 4535. the AL-c1900 was in CUPS.
 Edit: I've since changed to Xubuntu 14.04, which has upgraded CUPS to 1.7.2, but stlll had to add the WP4535 drivers from Epson.

You should be able to download a 1.7.2 CUPS deb package (or a PPA) from
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups