[Solved] Football Pool

Discuss the spreadsheet application

[Solved] Football Pool

Postby brentkuckkan » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:08 am

I'm putting together a season long football pool. 1 team vs 16 opponents. I need to randomly generate 0-9 each week across 16 columns and 16 rows with a center square filled numbers 1-100. This must be simple. If you're smarter than me. Help?


(basic design)

|||||||
|||||||
|||||||
|||||||
|||||||
|||||||
|||||||
+++++++-------------
+++++++-------------
+++++++-------------
+++++++-------------
+++++++-------------
+++++++-------------

TIA
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue May 26, 2020 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved]; Added formatting tags to pool illustration
LibreOffice 3.4.3 on Windows 7
brentkuckkan
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:58 am

Re: Football Pool

Postby jrkrideau » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:11 pm

brentkuckkan wrote:I'm putting together a season long football pool. 1 team vs 16 opponents. I need to randomly generate 0-9 each week across 16 columns and 16 rows with a center square filled numbers 1-100. This must be simple. If you're smarter than me. Help?

TIA


I am not following this.
Are you saying that you want a matrix of 16 X 16 filled with random numbers ranging from 1:9, that is 256 numbers from 0-9 (seems unlikely) or;
You want a 16 X 16 matrix with the column and row names consisting of the 1:9 random numbers with the actual matrix consisting of numbers from 1:100. If this latter one, you only have 100 number and 256 cells. How do you wan to fill in the values for those cells?

In either case I think you can find an approach at http://www.comfsm.fm/~dleeling/statisti ... 1.html#s12 .
LibreOffice 6.4.3.2; Ubuntu 20.04
jrkrideau
Volunteer
 
Posts: 3785
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Kingston Ontario Canada

Re: Football Pool

Postby brentkuckkan » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:47 pm

The center matrix is 10x10 consisting of 1-100 in order. These numbers correspond to the names of the people in the pool. Extending vertically from the top will be 16 rows of 10 columns with each row representing one game/one opponent. Every number 0-9 (representing the last digit in the opponents score) must be used and used only once. Each row must be randomly different. Extending from the right of the center matrix will be 16 columns 10 rows high with each column representing one game/the Packers. Every number 0-9 (representing the last digit in the Packers score) must be used and used only once. 320 numbers will be generated. 100 numbers filled in order. Essentially one 16x10 matrix vertically and one 16x10 matrix horizontally joined by a 10x10. All I really need to know is if there is a way to generate 0-9 randomly and exclusively across 10 cells up and down and across. The link provided doesn't seem to answer my question.

||||||||||
||||||||||
||||||||||
||||||||||
||||||||||
||||||||||
||||||||||
||||||||||
||||||||||
||||||||||
||||||||||
||||||||||
||||||||||
||||||||||
||||||||||
||||||||||
++++++++++----------------
++++++++++----------------
++++++++++----------------
++++++++++----------------
++++++++++----------------
++++++++++----------------
++++++++++----------------
++++++++++----------------
++++++++++----------------
++++++++++----------------
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue May 26, 2020 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added tags to pool illustration
LibreOffice 3.4.3 on Windows 7
brentkuckkan
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:58 am

Re: Football Pool

Postby jrkrideau » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:43 pm

brentkuckkan wrote:The center matrix is 10x10 consisting of 1-100 in order. These numbers correspond to the names of the people in the pool. Extending vertically from the top will be 16 rows of 10 columns with each row representing one game/one opponent. Every number 0-9 (representing the last digit in the opponents score) must be used and used only once. Each row must be randomly different. Extending from the right of the center matrix will be 16 columns 10 rows high with each column representing one game/the Packers. Every number 0-9 (representing the last digit in the Packers score) must be used and used only once. 320 numbers will be generated. 100 numbers filled in order. Essentially one 16x10 matrix vertically and one 16x10 matrix horizontally joined by a 10x10. All I really need to know is if there is a way to generate 0-9 randomly and exclusively across 10 cells up and down and across. The link provided doesn't seem to answer my question.
-


Now I have a better idea of what you want. No the link did not answer the question unfortunately. I don't see any easy way to enforce unique choices there.

Is the attached file what you want? Not done in Calc but if it looks like what you want perhaps a better Calc expert can figure out how to do it. Otherwise I can send you the code and links to the software that I used to produce it. Actually I produced three matrices and pasted them together in Calc.

BTW, if the 1:100 is in the wrong order, you should be able to do a copy > Paste Special > Transpose to rearrange it.
Attachments
pool.packer.ods
(16.04 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
LibreOffice 6.4.3.2; Ubuntu 20.04
jrkrideau
Volunteer
 
Posts: 3785
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Kingston Ontario Canada

Re: Football Pool

Postby brentkuckkan » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:35 pm

Yes! Exactly. Awesome. Thank You! Now, um, uh, is there any way I could get a second one? Or perhaps even better just the instructions on how to do it?
LibreOffice 3.4.3 on Windows 7
brentkuckkan
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:58 am

Re: Football Pool

Postby jrkrideau » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:42 pm

brentkuckkan wrote:Yes! Exactly. Awesome. Thank You! Now, um, uh, is there any way I could get a second one? Or perhaps even better just the instructions on how to do it?


No problem. Attached is a second one.

I'll PM you with some detailed instructions. It is acually very simple to do, just not something a spreadsheet is set up to do easily.
Attachments
pool.packer2.ods
(17.41 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
LibreOffice 6.4.3.2; Ubuntu 20.04
jrkrideau
Volunteer
 
Posts: 3785
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Kingston Ontario Canada

Re: Football Pool

Postby MrProgrammer » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:30 pm

RANK can generate the required sets of numbers. See attached. It will generate new sets each time the file is opened or if you make changes to cells. To stop that, either save a copy as PDF (File > Export to PDF) or remove the formulas (select cells, Edit > Copy, then Edit > Paste Special, unchecking Paste All, and checking all the boxes except Formulas. Then save the non-formula file using a different name (File > Save As). Open the original file to generate further sets.
Attachments
201209011200.ods
(20.82 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800 on MacOS 10.14.6.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
User avatar
MrProgrammer
Moderator
 
Posts: 3980
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Re: Football Pool

Postby jrkrideau » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:57 am

Ah, very nice!

Not to mention you seem to understand what the thing is about. A pool to me is usually something the kids swim in.
LibreOffice 6.4.3.2; Ubuntu 20.04
jrkrideau
Volunteer
 
Posts: 3785
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Kingston Ontario Canada


Return to Calc

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests