[Solved] Delete apostrophe before numbers in all cells?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
wmbernard@gmx.us

Re: Delete apostrophy before numbers in all cells?

Post by wmbernard@gmx.us »

perfect! I copied over my bank statement as comma delimited and could not otherwise have transferred it without this nugget of enlightenment. So just saying a hearty thanks with appreciation (and I know this is way late after the post but it 's never too late to give thanks where it's due). Best regards, Wendy

FJCC wrote:The apostrophe isn't really part of the cell content, it just signifies that the cell is formatted as text. To reenter all the data as number:
1. Highlight all of the cells and use Format -> Cells to change the cell format to an appropriate number format.
2. With all of the cells still selected, go to the menu Edit -> Find & Replace
3. In the Search For box enter .* (period asterisk)
4. In the Replace with box enter &
5. Select More Options and check Current Selection Only and Regular Expressions
6. Click Replace All

The .* "means zero or more of any character" and & means "whatever was found". These are regular expressions which are explained in the help section
Windows 7 running OpenOffice 4.1.7
robleyd

Re: [Solved] Delete apostrophe before numbers in all cells?

Post by robleyd »

could not otherwise have transferred it
Apparently you didn't notice the advice given in this topic, and often elsewhere in these forums, to ensure you have the correct import options, so you don't need to kludge things to fix the result of inappropriate settings.
Villeroy wrote:Do not ignore the import options.
Import with US English language and check "special numbers".
Villeroy wrote:The one and only answer to this whole f***ng topic is always the same: Do not ignore import options and complain afterwards about the complexity to fix wrongly imported data!
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
wmbernard@gmx.us

Post by wmbernard@gmx.us »

OMG are you for real? That is just rude. Your insipid response quoting others who use the eff word is also unnecessary and unappreciated. I relied on info I found here, and I thanked the person who wrote it and I guess I didn't flunk Humanities 101 like you did because it does not perturb me to the point that I start quoting obscenities. So give it a rest. If I want attitude, I will go to the ghetto (or a democrat fundraiser). Have a nice day.
Windows 7 running OpenOffice 4.1.7
scottgius@gmail.com

Post by scottgius@gmail.com »

It's really extremely simple. Highlight the column, go to Data menu, choose Text to Columns. That's all you need to do and you can summarize the column.
Open Office 4.1.7