Best DB to move to, keeping OOo Base as front end

dBase, Calc, CSV, MS ACCESS, MySQL, PostgrSQL, OTHER
Marlowe

Best DB to move to, keeping OOo Base as front end

Post by Marlowe »

*best db to move to, keeping base as frontend *

i'm working fine with libreoffice base but i keep reading that it's better to move to another db for professional porpuse.

so i decided to move my db to another one, quicker, more reliable, not multiple access needed, don't have experience so i need step-by-step documentation helping me in the process, want to keep using libreoffice base as frontend (i've order form, datapilot builded already...), need to keep the database file in a usb drive password protected.

what's the optimal solution in your opinion given my needs?

thanks for helping, diego
Safway
Volunteer

Re: Best DB to move to, keeping OOo Base as front end

Post by Safway »

I'm not sure how professional you mean. If you want the data to reside on a USB drive, then that might not be the "professional" way to do it as it is prone to physical loss, static electricity (some more than others), physical damage, etc. If it were me and I considered a USB drive acceptable, then I would certainly find OO.o's native database format acceptable.

If you still want to use a USB device and OO.o with another database backend, then consider how often you will need to configure OO.o to read that backend database. Every time you walk up to a computer with OO.o already installed, will you need to configure OO.o to read a non-native backend database? Thoughts to consider.

Here are some of the specs for the native OO.o database:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hsql
http://hsqldb.org/web/hsqlFeatures.html
If someone posts a fix for your question, then please post a quick thank you and then go to your first post, use the edit button to add [Solved] as the first word of the title so other people can rely on the fix as well.
LibreOffice 3.3.3 on Fedora
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

people suggest postgresql or hsql not embedded mode: with both solutions i can keep using the frontend i'm using right now (forms and datapilot designed in calc)? links to step by step documentation available? thanks
RPG
Volunteer

Post by RPG »

LibreOffice 7.1.4.2 on openSUSE Leap 15.2
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

You may use the embedded HSQLDB for a database on a stick. Use the stick as backup medium and always create a disk copy to work with. Edit the disk copy and close the document before you copy the file back to the stick when you finished your work.
Editing some database directly on a stick is a bad idea because USB sticks have a limited amount of read-write cycles. When you open an embedded database directly from stick, you get an extracted copy of the "real" database anyway but the database is at risk when anything goes wrong during the extraction and repackaging. This is why I suggest using the stick as a backup and transfer medium. This way I used a daily growing database for 18 months without problems.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
peterroots
Volunteer

Post by peterroots »

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=137398
best to stick to one forum unless you don't get a response rather than duplicating posts
LibreOffice 4.0.3 OpenSUSE 12.3 : OpenOffice 4 Linux Mint 15
rudolfo
Volunteer

Post by rudolfo »

There is a nice posting from DCAM with a quite elaborate Comparison of database engines for OOo Base. In contrary to his preference of HSQLDB I would still go for sqlite http://www.sqlite.org/lang.html as my preferred file based database. And as others before I empasize not to run the database file directly from the USB pen drive.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 (2.4.3 until October 2009) and LibreOffice 3.3.2 on Windows 2000, AOO 3.4.1 on Windows 7
There are several macro languages in OOo, but none of them is called Visual Basic or VB(A)! Please call it OOo Basic, Star Basic or simply Basic.