error message - Please Help!

Discuss the word processor
ceb0161

error message - Please Help!

Post by ceb0161 »

Hi,

I use Windows Vista. I downloaded OpenOffice.org a couple of months ago when my Microsoft Word trial expired and someone recommended OpenOffice.

Anyway, I was editing a document today. I saved it then closed the doc. When I tried to open it, I couldn't. I received this message:

File Format error
found at 207, 7 (row, col)

I cannot open this document! Can someone tell me what this means, and how to recover/open this document? I can't seem to find any help with this within the help sectin.

Please help!
Hagar Delest

Re: error message - Please Help!

Post by Hagar Delest »

See that thread : Re: Please Help point me in the right direction.

If you don't manage to do it, you can attach the file here so that we can have a look.
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Post by AndrewZ »

I have a copy of the file. It is an RTF file with the mismatched extension .doc. Renaming it does not help OpenOffice.org. Try converting the document using http://zamzar.com to a format like HTML or ODT.
* Did you solve your problem? Do others a favor: Post the solution
* Visit OpenOffice.org Ninja (blog) and OpenOffice.org Ninja Wiki for news, previews, troubleshooting, etc.
OOo 3.0.X on Fedora 9 + XP
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

ceb0161 wrote:...I downloaded OpenOffice.org a couple of months ago when my Microsoft Word trial expired and someone recommended OpenOffice.

Anyway, I was editing a document today. I saved it then closed the doc....
AndrewZ wrote:I have a copy of the file. It is an RTF file with the mismatched extension .doc. Renaming it does not help OpenOffice.org. Try converting the document using http://zamzar.com to a format like HTML or ODT.
Was the document edited and saved in OOo as implied? If so, what file format was chosen when saving the document, If not, what was used to edit and save the document?
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Post by AndrewZ »

I converted the document using Abiword.
* Did you solve your problem? Do others a favor: Post the solution
* Visit OpenOffice.org Ninja (blog) and OpenOffice.org Ninja Wiki for news, previews, troubleshooting, etc.
OOo 3.0.X on Fedora 9 + XP