[Solved] How do I hide these grey spaces in my document?

Discuss the word processor
rhinokitty

[Solved] How do I hide these grey spaces in my document?

Post by rhinokitty »

[solved]

I am trying to cut and paste the contents of this webpage:

http://ibiblio.org/collection.html

into a writer document. When I do, the numbers in the list display as they do on the webpage, except they seem to be highlighted in grey. You can observe this same highlighting in if you hold "Ctrl" and hit "Space" a few times.

I want to hide this permanently, so that everything I cut and paste will display without the gray highlighting. This also happens when opening microsoft word documents that have formatting. I have checked online and read the entire contents of the help menu, but I can't seem to figure it out.

I have turned off "nonprinting characters" and the paragraph marks toggle on and off, but the gray highlighted spaces remain.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Last edited by rhinokitty on Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caracalla
Volunteer

Re: How do I hide these grey spaces in my document?

Post by Caracalla »

First of all, the grey highlighting does not show up when printing the document or converting it to PDF. But if you really want to remove it just press CTRL+F8.
Has your question been answered? Then please add [solved] to the title of your thread.
My pet peeve, No support for international ordinal numbering
please vote

Er is nu ook een Nederlandstalig forum!
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Opensuse 11.1
rhinokitty

Post by rhinokitty »

One additional factor, Iam on an Ubunutu operating system, so the keyboard shortcuts might be a bit different.

I tried Ctrl F8, but no luck. I am still seeing the gray. I know it isn't too big a deal, but I have a learning disability that makes weird things like that totally throw me off of my game, and I work in publishing. It would be awesome if I could get those pesky grey highlights hidden. Thanks for the response!
Caracalla
Volunteer

Post by Caracalla »

Then go to "view" in the menu bar and uncheck "field shadings".
Has your question been answered? Then please add [solved] to the title of your thread.
My pet peeve, No support for international ordinal numbering
please vote

Er is nu ook een Nederlandstalig forum!
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Opensuse 11.1
rhinokitty

Post by rhinokitty »

Hrm, I see field shadings and it actually is the Ctrl F8 shortcut key, but checked or unchecked I still see the gray highlighting.

Attachments
openofficegray.png
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

You seem to run Ubuntu. Then, I guess it's Gutsy. BTW, please read the Survival Guide for the forum for next threads.

That's a bug of the Ubuntu version. Only fix is to go to Tools>Options>OOo>Appearance, then set the color for field shading to white. Or install the official version of OOo : [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
rhinokitty

Re: [solved] How do I hide these grey spaces in my document?

Post by rhinokitty »

That did it! Thanks!