Can Not Save Documents

Discuss the word processor
wkastner

Can Not Save Documents

Post by wkastner »

I am using Red Hat Enterprise 4 with version 2.3.0-9221 and I am unable to save any documents. It gives me an error dialog box stating that I do not have permissions to write this file. I have checked the permissions on the directories, and they have write permissions set. I even when as far as to set all the permissions for the directories to have write permissions with no change. It will not even allow me to save to the /tmp directory which I have never seen this not allow a write to. I am able to use other programs to write to these directories.

Any Suggestions?
floris v
Volunteer

Re: Can Not Save Documents

Post by floris v »

Quite often when you install software that you want OOo to use, like fonts, and OOo is running, you have to restart OOo before it's aware that anything has changed. Maybe that works for writing permissions as well, but I'm not an expert.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
acknak

Re: Can Not Save Documents

Post by acknak »

Your best bet, I think, is to run OOo under strace and get a log of all the system calls. That should identify exactly what file has the permission problem.

With OOo already running, you can start tracing it like so:

$ strace -p`/sbin/pidof soffice.bin` -o strace.log
Process 5955 attached - interrupt to quit
... use OOo to save a file ... type Ctrl+C here
Process 5955 detached
$ less strace.log

If you don't have pidof, you can start OOo under strace like this:

$ strace -o strace.log ooffice
... use OOo to save a file ... exit
$

Now you can examine strace.log for permission errors to see exactly which file is failing.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23