Arabic support for OOo

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
diptisriram

Arabic support for OOo

Post by diptisriram »

A feature of my application converts ppt's to swf/images.
The english version of the ppt works fine however the Arabic ppt gets converted but the arabic text is not displayed.

In my development environment (32 bit Ubuntu 10.10 Desktop edition), the conversion happens and I can see the arabic text too.

The server is a 32 bit 10.10 Ubuntu server edition. I had manually installed openoffice 3.1 upto 3.3 however I am not able to view arabic fonts in ppt/images.
I tried installing the arabic language packs for both Ubuntu and Openoffice however nothing seems to be working.

Could you please let me know from where I can get to download the openoffice package shipped by default in the Ubuntu desktop edition?
OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04
RoryOF

Re: Arabic support for OO

Post by RoryOF »

The Ubuntu OpenOffice package is available through / Administration / Synaptic in Ubuntu. The vanilla OpenOffice, which many of this site's volunteers use in preference, is available from
http://download.openoffice.org/other.html
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
diptisriram

Re: Arabic support for OO

Post by diptisriram »

Thanks for the quick reply Rory!

However, there is no arabic package available in the link that you had sent. We've tried the options there already.

I will have to download on the server and has no GUI, so I cannot use the Administration option either.
OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04
Robert Tucker
Volunteer

Re: Arabic support for OOo

Post by Robert Tucker »

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt-get install openoffice.org-l10n-ar
but I think the problem is much, much more likely that the server does not have access to a font containing Arabic script (with correct combination rules).

Or possibly it's that CTL support is not turned on in the headless server version. It seems there is a package openoffice.org-ctl-he that automatically turns on CTL support for Hebrew, but I can't find a similar one for Arabic. Maybe it will be the case that openoffice.org-l10n-ar does that, I don't know.
LibreOffice 7.x.x on Arch and Fedora.