[Solved] How do I get by these annoying problems?

Discuss the word processor
Sob

[Solved] How do I get by these annoying problems?

Post by Sob »

1. if i write in my native language (which uses right to left alignment), place a dot and press "enter" it automatically changes the last paragraph to left to right alignment and i have to go back and change it manually.
2. the numbering (1. 2. 3.) are hard to get rid of when on automatic. if i start a line with "1.", write something and then press "enter" it automatically turns it into "numbering" and sets "2." in the following line. in order to change that i have to press enter multiple times BEFORE starting my lines so i won't have to press enter. highly annoying. and besides, why does the "auto-correction" doesn't correct first words in numbered lines to have capital letters? ("1. hello" doesn't automatically turn to "1. Hello" like in a normal line)
3. is there any way of setting that the headline of the document will be the default suggestion to the filename?

and out of topic:

4. every update to the Open Office program sets it in a different folder, which means i have to manually change all of the shortcuts i've previously made and i have to install the dictionaries. again.
5. speaking of dictionaries, the swedish one (at least) needs more work on.

thanks for listening to my rantings :)
Last edited by Sob on Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caracalla
Volunteer

Re: how do i get by these annoying problems?

Post by Caracalla »

2) You can turn off the autonumbering in the autocorrect window. Don't know why the autocorrecting of caps does not work in numbered text, i've noticed it too though. (EDIT: see below)
3) Not sure what you want here, have you tried using a field?
4) Never noticed that, why don't you change the installation path to the one OOo is currently in during installation?
5) Trust me, it is not the only one.
Last edited by Caracalla on Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Has your question been answered? Then please add [solved] to the title of your thread.
My pet peeve, No support for international ordinal numbering
please vote

Er is nu ook een Nederlandstalig forum!
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Opensuse 11.1
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Sob wrote: 2. ... why does the "auto-correction" doesn't correct first words in numbered lines to have capital letters? ("1. hello" doesn't automatically turn to "1. Hello" like in a normal line)
You have to end each list item with a period before pressing ENTER. If you don't, the next line won't be automatically capitalized. This also happens when typing normal text. If you don't put a period at the end of a paragraph before pressing ENTER, the first word in the next sentence won't be capitalized.
ccornell
Volunteer

Post by ccornell »

The NLC groups are always looking for help. If you can speak Swedish well enough to know the correct spellings and add words, then join up with the Swedish Lang project and lend a hand :-)
openSUSE 11.4, KDE4.6 with OpenOffice.org 3.3
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

1. Open Help and find "right-to-left text", it will give you a lot of information and I hope it helps you. It's a lot better to use a descriptive title for your questions, though, it helps people who can help you find your question.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Sob

Post by Sob »

thanks all.
first of all, i'm only learning swedish now so sadly i can't contribute to the effort.
about the numbering, it has nothing to do with the previous paragraph and i'm talking about the beginning of the numbered sentence, so there's no sentence before it either.
thanks for the reference, i'll look it up in the help section. and i wish i could give a better headline to these unconnected questions. next time will be better ;)
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Sob wrote:...about the numbering, it has nothing to do with the previous paragraph and i'm talking about the beginning of the numbered sentence, so there's no sentence before it either.
My system is different. The first word of each list item (numbered sentence) is always capitalized automatically if the previous sentence or list item ends with a period. It only fails if there is no period at the end of the previous sentence or list item.
Sob

Re: how do i get by these annoying problems? (solved)

Post by Sob »

well, i always use a period in the end of my sentences, or at least i try. it happens anyway.

okay, thanks for your answers, everyone. as far as i see i'll just have to turn off the automatic numbering for good and get used to the other problems.
Hagar Delest

Re: how do i get by these annoying problems? (solved)

Post by Hagar Delest »

Sob wrote:3. is there any way of setting that the headline of the document will be the default suggestion to the filename?
You should subscribe and vote for that request : Issue 22561 - Set heading of document as file name and title.

Please read the Survival Guide for the forum for next threads.
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10