Opening Screen

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
chrishowell

Opening Screen

Post by chrishowell »

I'm new to Open Office, though my first impressions are very positive. This is not a major issue, but I wonder if there is a way to change the way that OO opens up. It opens as a very large screen, with a lot of gray, unused area, and with the options for new document, open existing document, etc. I find myself re-sizing the window every time I open the program. I tried re-sizing and then saving that as a template, then making that the default template, but that did not change how the program opens.

Is it possible to get it to open by default:

1) in a smaller screen (a single page with a narrow border of gray) so I don't need to re-size?
2) without the list of options, so that it by default opens as a new blank document?

Thanks,
Chris
OpenOffice 3.2.1 on MacOS X
therabi
Volunteer

Re: Opening Screen

Post by therabi »

chrishowell wrote:I'm new to Open Office, though my first impressions are very positive. This is not a major issue, but I wonder if there is a way to change the way that OO opens up. It opens as a very large screen, with a lot of gray, unused area, and with the options for new document, open existing document, etc. I find myself re-sizing the window every time I open the program. I tried re-sizing and then saving that as a template, then making that the default template, but that did not change how the program opens.

Is it possible to get it to open by default:

1) in a smaller screen (a single page with a narrow border of gray) so I don't need to re-size?
2) without the list of options, so that it by default opens as a new blank document?

Thanks,
Chris
Your using the Quick starter and that is the way it is designed an not changeable. Create a short cut on you desktop for the program you wish to use, Writer, Calc, Base, Draw and use that instead. How you make the short cut depends on the operating system.

HTH
OpenOffice.org v3.3, LibO v3.32 on Ubuntu 10.10 and Win7
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

The window size is an OS problem. Under Windows or GNU/Linux, it usually remembers the position and size of the last instance of the software.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

See http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... le#p103601
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

To prevent OpenOffice from starting automatically, see [Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q48/A48. Then open existing files directly from Finder or Spotlight. For new documents, build a (blank) template and open that directly from Finder or Spotlight. This method would avoid the dialog that you don't like.

If this answered your question please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).