[Solved] Disable balloon tip for formulas

Discuss the spreadsheet application
meh...

[Solved] Disable balloon tip for formulas

Post by meh... »

hallo therw, i would like to know if there is a way to disable balloon tips while editing formules, sometimes the baloon tip appear right on what iḿ editing, wich makes impossible to see what i'm acctually changing, sure "ESC" makes it disappear, but if i press anything else, that baloon tip reappear.

also, i like to know if there is any way to disable auto-format when copying a formule, i don't need the formule to change "acordinly"... just need a copy of the same formule on some other place.

any help is welcome.

greetz,
meh

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply (Hagar, Moderator).
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]; Problem not present in current versions of OpenOffice -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OpenOffice 3.1 on Ubuntu 9.10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: annoyance on Calc

Post by Villeroy »

Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
pete

Post by pete »

To stop the tips go to Tools >Options>General on menu bar and then make sure 'Show tips' is not selected.
The way calc treats formulae is meant to work the way you stated so that you can copy them over several cells without having to laboriously write out each one. If you don't want cell addresses to change use the '$' eg $A$1 will keep cell A1 for all cells you copy to.
Pete
Doing it with Linux

OOo 3.3 RC5 on openSuse 11.3 and 11.4
meh...

Post by meh... »

oh, ty, the cell issue is solved.

the problemis, i on the options menu i have tips and extended tips, both of them are disabled, but still i get a pop-up that shows over my text telling me how to use a function...
meh...

Post by meh... »

this is what i mean... hope there is a solution
screenshotbm.png
options:
screenshot1wp.png
acknak

Post by acknak »

There is no way to disable the pop-up function help. When it happens and covers the formula, I usually can move the cursor within the formula, or to the other formula editing area, to get on with my editing.

The last time I checked the issue for this, the developers said it was fixed, and I think it's better, but it's not fixed.

Does anyone have a sure-fire, 100% reproducible recipe for triggering the problem?

I'll try and track down the previous discussion and the issue for this--it really needs to get fixed completely.
 Edit: PS: 
Here's the previous thread I was thinking of; there's a link to the issue there: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... =9&t=24466 The issue is still open--you can vote or comment if you register. I still think it would help if someone could give a reproducible series of steps that would trigger the problem.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
meh...

Re: Disable balloon tip for formulas

Post by meh... »

to reproduce it at will...
when you try to edit, you will notice that hint box appears randomly around your text,
have your mouse pointer somewhere around the edit box, where the pop up hint could appear and you'll notice the hint will appear somewhere else, usually over your edit box.

say, you want to correct something, you read the edit box and click where the error is present, if your mouse pointer is left around that edit box, the pop-up hint might appear over the edit box, its not a sure-shot like you asked, as the position seems to be random, but it happens very often if you do like i said.

well, if you just make sure the pointer is far away before navigating the edit box, you'll rarely encounter the problem, but it's still there.
Tomm1

Post by Tomm1 »

This problem is still present and still extremely annoying in LibreOffice Version: 7.3.6.2 (x64).

When editing a formula directly in the formula bar, a yellow "help" box appears - typically
exactly where you want to type, making it impossible to see what you're doing.
:crazy:
LO_UnhelpfulBalloonHelp.png
LO_UnhelpfulBalloonHelp.png (13.18 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Welcome to the forum. This forum is a place where users help users get along with OpenOffice and derived software, like LibreOffice. The developers of OpenOffice don't visit here, neither do the developers of LibreOffice. But even if they did, they'd ask you to report the bug at the bug tracker. So, you should report bugs at the respective bug trackers. For LibreOffice, that's https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/. You can find help reporting bugs there in https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/BugReport.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

This problem is still present and still extremely annoying in LibreOffice Version: 7.3.6.2 (x64).
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The Tips is appeared above the Formula editor box, and below the actually edited cell of my LO 7.5.7 in Windows 10.
Tips_Formula editor.jpg
Tips_Formula editor.jpg (38.5 KiB) Viewed 775 times
Tips_Cell.jpg
Tips_Cell.jpg (42.82 KiB) Viewed 775 times
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Tomm1 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:54 am When editing a formula directly in the formula bar, a yellow "help" box appears - typically exactly where you want to type, making it impossible to see what you're doing.
The original post from meh... in 2010 concerned OpenOffice 3.1. The problem is solved in current versions of OpenOffice.
• One can completely disable the tool tip in the formula bar with Tools → Cell Contents → AutoInput (uncheck)
• Even with that setting enabled, OpenOffice displays the tool tip below the formula bar
202311251046.gif
202311251046.gif (29.13 KiB) Viewed 633 times
Tomm1 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:54 am This problem is still present and still extremely annoying in LibreOffice Version: 7.3.6.2 (x64).
If you want to ask about LibreOffice you could have created a new topic since this one concerns OpenOffice where the problem is solved. The topic belongs to meh..., not to you.

Villeroy wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:52 pm Tools>Options>General>Tips=OFF
For people using MacOS, this is OpenOffice → Preferences → General → Help → Tips (uncheck)
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).