Copy paste Calc table content into a Writer table

Discuss the word processor

Copy paste Calc table content into a Writer table

Postby stevy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:42 am

Hi there,

The title already explains the problem, ive tried a 1000 things but it just wont work and it would save me alot of time. Does any of you know how to deal with this? If i copy paste it it just pastes an object into writer. The microsoft office package does the trick but i would like to get it to work at openoffice too. Thanks in advance,

Stevy
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
stevy

Re: copy paste calc table content into a writer table

Postby FJCC » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:09 am

You can insert a range of cells as a text table if you copy the cells in Calc then go to the writer document, select Edit -> Paste Special and choose the Formatted Text [RTF] option.
Windows 10 and Linux Mint, since 2017
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
FJCC

Re: Copy paste Calc table content into a Writer table

Postby Hagar Delest » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:33 am

If you want to paste only the table with the values but no formatting, you can paste as link (DDE) (long click on the paste button in toolbar) and then break the link with the menu Edit>Links>Disconnect.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.0.3 on Xubuntu 20.10 and LibreOffice 7.0 (portable) on Windows 10.
Hagar Delest

Postby romulusnr » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:10 am

Neither of these really answer the question.

The desire is to take a selection of an OpenOffice Calc multi-cell selection and paste into OpenOffice Writer as a table -- the same sort of thing you get if you used the Table command in Writer.

Using Formatted Text -> RTF pastes the cells as one column of text.
Using paste as link creates an DDE spreadsheet object, not a Writer table.
OpenOffice 2.4 / Windows Vista
romulusnr

Postby FJCC » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:26 am

On my system using XP and StarOffice 9.1 (which should be the same as OOo 3.1 from the OOo website) I do get a table when I copy a multicell selection from a Calc spreadsheet, use Paste Special, and choose the Formatted Text [RTF] option. Are you using a different version of OOo?
Windows 10 and Linux Mint, since 2017
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
FJCC

Postby Cambirder » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:42 am

Are you using a different version of OOo?

Both Stevy and romulunsr seem to be using 2.4 (could they be the same person?). Pasting as rtf works for me with 3.1 on XP and 3.0 in Linux
OOo 3.3 on Windows 7 & 3.2.1 on Mint 10
Cambirder
Volunteer

Postby acknak » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:34 am

You can paste spreadsheet cells into Writer as a new table, but you cannot paste the cell contents into a Writer table that already exists. That you have to do in two steps: paste as a new table, then copy paste cells from that table into the existing table.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Return to Writer