[Solved] Create, Edit, and Save PDF files

Not sure where to post? Post here!
cmlivengood

[Solved] Create, Edit, and Save PDF files

Post by cmlivengood »

I can't figure out how to do these things and I desperately need to do that! Some PDFs I need to edit are downloaded from the internet and I need to be able to edit and save them. This is the first time of using OpenOffice, and I would really like to make it work instead of going back to Microsoft Office.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
aoo 4.1.14 on Windows 10something
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Re: Create, Edit, and Save PDF files

Post by TheGurkha »

Hi and welcome to the forums.

OOo can create PDFs by using the PDF button on the toolbar (next to the Printer in Writer) or by using File > Export...

However, In it's 'out of the box' state it can't open or edit PDFs. There is an extension you can get from here PDF Import Extension that will allow you to open PDFs in Draw and Impress, and to make small edits. It is intended for the fixing of a typo or something like that - it isn't an all singing, all dancing PDF editing tool.

If this has answered your question please go to your first post and use the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can use the green tick icon at the same time if you like.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

cmlivengood wrote:Some PDFs I need to edit are downloaded from the internet and I need to be able to edit and save them. This is the first time of using OpenOffice, and I would really like to make it work instead of going back to Microsoft Office.
MS Office doesn't edit PDFs either. Be under no misapprehension about that. PDFs are substantially uneditable. To edit them I think you have to purchase Adobe Acrobat.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

In fact, PDFs were invented and designed to be an electronic snapshot of a document, not a working document that is supposed to be malleable and be re-edited, like a word processor file.

When you say you nee to download them from the Internet and edit them, are these PDF forms that need filling in, like application forms etc? If that is the case your PDF reader should allow you to do that.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
nathansurendran

Post by nathansurendran »

Hi there. I've beeen using BlueBeam pdf for ages to edit / annotate pdf's, which is great, but windoze only... Wanting to move to Linux I found PDFStudio http://www.qoppa.com/index.html which is windows and linux and has pretty much everything I use in Bluebeam. And it's less than half the price...
OpenOffice 3.1.1 on M$ Vista / Ubuntu
www.schemaconsulting.co.uk
ByromAnd

Post by ByromAnd »

Yep, unfortunately, many people think that one software can solve all the problems, connected with PDF. On the contrary, there are lots of PDF converters, editors, whatever. So, if you need to edit a PDF, I'd recommend Infix PDF editor and Adobe Acrobat. Infix you may find here [url]http://www.iceni.com/infix.htm[/url].As far as readers are concerned, try Foxit.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista