Saving/backing up bibliographies

Discuss the database features
jaap polling

Saving/backing up bibliographies

Post by jaap polling »

I use OpenOffice 3.0 on a SUSE 11.1 desktop machine, but also on a Ubuntu 8.04 desktop and on a Windows Vista laptop.
OOo 3.0 offers a bibiography on OOo of 59 items in different languages.
Problem:
I added some 10 items of my own bibliography.
To use my bibliography on the other machines I copied the file biblio.odb to a USB-stick and copied it in a directory on my laptop
I was surprised to see that my additions had disappeared. The biblo.odb file only showed the 59 original items.
To check what happened I copied the same file to my Ubuntu system and got the same result: only the original items were available.
Is there a way to simple backup my bibliography and use it in another version of OpenOffice.org?

As a matter of fact I had to use a separate folder on the Vista laptop: according to OpenOffice the path to the bibliography goes:
C:\Users\jaapol\AppData\Roaming\... etc. There is no such folder as AppData, nor Roaming. Where do I find my bibliography file(s)?
OOo 3.0.X on openSuse 11 + Windows Vista
Calmhey

Re: Saving/backing up bibliographies

Post by Calmhey »

The simplest way is to create a query of all fields in the table(s) you want to export. Then create a report (in v3) that uses that query and in the report output select spreadsheet.

When you run the report it will create a spreadsheet with all the data. In Open Office Calc just delete the two heading rows and you have a file which you can import into the same table on a different machine.

I find this the simplest and best way to transfer data between different machines / versions etc.

Good luck

David