Cant Print (Ubuntu 7.10 and ooo 2.3)

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
Sheltem

Cant Print (Ubuntu 7.10 and ooo 2.3)

Post by Sheltem »

Hi All,

I cant seem to get open office to print under ubuntu 7.10. All other applications on the system print without any problem though...
My setup is Ubuntu 7.10 with OOo 2.3 from the ubuntu repository and Brother MFC 7420 under cups.
I checked the bug reports and there are similar problems described but none of the workarounds: change the desktop theme to human or make sure it uses the right printer (I've got only one installed) works for me.
I checked the cups print server running under ubuntu and it list all the print jobs as done, incl the ones which never printed.

Is there anything else I can do? I do not want to export to pdf and then print from there every time I want to print....

Cheers!
acknak

Re: Cant Print (Ubuntu 7.10 and ooo 2.3)

Post by acknak »

Sorry no one has responded to your question. Were you able to find any solution?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

I have the same issue as you with Ubuntu Hardy Heron, and a Samsung ML-2571N.

I've been scouting round for answers and have a few things to try (this isn't exactly the same issue but it direct me towards the .ppd file, which I'll look at tonight when I get home.)

http://forums.linux-foundation.org/read.php?31,1146

If I succeed, I'll let you know.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

I solved the issue for me, hopefully it is the same issue you're getting.

In a terminal window do the following:
cd /etc/cups/ppd
sudo gedit <name of your ppd file>
In the file, look for a series of lines referring to page sizes.
Locate the line (the Page Size [595 842] figures might be different in your case):

Code: Select all

*PageSize A4/A4: "<</Policies <</PageSize 7>> /PageSize [595 842] /ImagingBBox null>> setpagedevice"
and add a # at the start, to comment it out. It should look something like this:

Code: Select all

*DefaultPageSize: A4
*PageSize Letter/Letter: "<</Policies <</PageSize 7>> /PageSize [612 792] /ImagingBBox null>> setpagedevice"
*PageSize Legal/Legal: "<</Policies <</PageSize 7>> /PageSize [612 1008] /ImagingBBox null>> setpagedevice"
#*PageSize A4/A4: "<</Policies <</PageSize 7>> /PageSize [595 842] /ImagingBBox null>> setpagedevice"
*PageSize Executive/Executive: "<</Policies <</PageSize 7>> /PageSize [522 756] /ImagingBBox null>> setpagedevice"
*PageSize Folio/US Folio: "<</Policies <</PageSize 7>> /PageSize [612 936] /ImagingBBox null>> setpagedevice"
*PageSize B5/JIS B5: "<</Policies <</PageSize 7>> /PageSize [516 729] /ImagingBBox null>> setpagedevice"
*PageSize EnvISOB5/ISO B5: "<</Policies <</PageSize 7>> /PageSize [499 709] /ImagingBBox null>> setpagedevice"
*PageSize A5/A5: "<</Policies <</PageSize 7>> /PageSize [420 595] /ImagingBBox null>> setpagedevice"
Save the file.

That's all I had to do. As far as I can tell issue is the printer tries to print what it is being sent, but somewhere along the line OOo is getting confused and tries printing outside of the region of the page.

If this soves your issue, please go to your first post and use the edit button, and add [Solved] to the start of the title.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust