How can my teacher open my document?

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
DebFowler

How can my teacher open my document?

Post by DebFowler »

Hello,

I am usually on graphics art forums, so I am very new here. Can anyone help me? I just got a computer built and it had openoffice. org 3 on it. I used it to do an assignment document for online courses, and when I submitted it, I tried to open it from there as my teacher would and it wouldn't open. Is she going to be able to open it?

It is the Devry online and they do offer open office as an alternative for those who don't have a word disc so they should be able to open it. I am just concerned so does anyone know what to do so my teacher can access it?
will their tech lab be able to open it for her? thanks ahead of time!
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + 3SOWS9
Hagar Delest

Re: How can my teacher open my document?

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome!

See here for example: Opening .odt document. Better send your document in PDF if they don't need to be edited.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
ccornell
Volunteer

Re: First time newbie; how can my teacher open my document?

Post by ccornell »

There are a couple of things you can do. The two main ones are:
- Send PDFs
- Save as MS Office formatted documents
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wik ... ring_Files

Other options include installing the Sun ODF Plugin in MS Office or encouraging people to install OpenOffice.org... but these options may not be practical, especially when software installs may be restricted on University computers.

Since DeVry is suggesting their students use OpenOffice.org, then they should be able to handle ODF documents. I would ask the teachers why they are not able to open the documents, why they are not able to support the very tools they recommend/suggest. They (teachers) should be technically knowledgeable enough to know how to open ODF documents regardless of using MS Office or OpenOffice.org.
openSUSE 11.4, KDE4.6 with OpenOffice.org 3.3