[Solved] Application could not be processed due to missing access rights

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Karel Vervest

[Solved] Application could not be processed due to missing access rights

Post by Karel Vervest »

Hi,

Out of the blue I got this message when I tried to use OpenOffice:

'Application cannot be started.
Open Office user installation could not be processed due to missing access rights.
Please ensure that you have sufficient access rights for the following location
and restart Open Office.'

C:\Users\Music PC\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4

I uninstalled and re-installed twice to no effect. Hope someone in this community can help me!

Best wishes,

Karel Vervest
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed May 29, 2024 3:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited topic's subject
Windows 10
OpenOffice 4.1.15
FJCC

Re: Office won't start up

Post by FJCC »

What is your user name on this computer? Is that user an administrator? Are you trying to do a custom installation or are our accepting the default configuration?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

I would suggest temporarily disabling your virus scanner and seeing if that helps. Often a virus scanner can cause this kind of an issue. If that does work then you could add an exclusion/exception in your virus scanner to the User Profile folder, though this certainly is not a good thing to do long-term.

The other course of action you could take is to switch from using OpenOffice and use LibreOffice instead. LibreOffice seems less prone to this kind of thing on Windows 10 and Windows 11 systems. There are several good reasons for making the switch anyway, some of which are mentioned here: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.7.2 (x64) Fully installed to system on Windows 10 and Windows 11
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.7.2 (x86) [PortableApps] on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The posted path shows a space in the user name folder "Music PC". I don't know if this is causing the error, but I don't believe Windows allows spaces in user names. If that's the problem, then you may need to go to a Windows forum for advice. I don't use Windows.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

I just did a quick check on what Bill Is saying about a space in the username. Seems Windows will allow you to do it when installing the system but problems likely lie ahead if you do.

Good forum for Windows 10 is Windows TenForums I use it myself when I run into problems.

I did a quick look there and found the following two relevant step-by-step guides to fixing this:

How to Change the Name of a User Profile Folder in Windows 10

How to Change User Name of an Account in Windows 10
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.7.2 (x64) Fully installed to system on Windows 10 and Windows 11
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.7.2 (x86) [PortableApps] on Windows 10
Karel Vervest

Post by Karel Vervest »

FJCC wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 3:05 pm What is your user name on this computer? Is that user an administrator? Are you trying to do a custom installation or are our accepting the default configuration?
User name is my email: removed [Hagar, moderator]
I'm also administrator.
I tried custom as wel as default installation.

Crazy thoing is that I've used OpenOffice for quite a long time on this computer and never had any issues.
Windows 10
OpenOffice 4.1.15
Karel Vervest

Post by Karel Vervest »

Thanks for all the reactions!
I've just installed Libre Office and it works fine!
Windows 10
OpenOffice 4.1.15