[Solved] Critical database crash

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
mr.seg

[Solved] Critical database crash

Post by mr.seg »

I have set up a database to catalogue my 45rpm singles collection. It consists of a main Table, a Form to handle data input and a Query to present an abbreviated table. It has worked well once the design was finalised and up to last evening, contained 250+ entries.

The Table and Form screens were both active; I wasn't actually doing anything on the laptop at the time. The screens simultaneously disappeared.
Reloading the database from the file produced the Recovery option. This failed to recover. Trying to open the file again only opened OO in Write setting. The file now looks like the attached.

Unless I can determine a positive cause, I am unwilling to reconstruct the Base in OO as I have lost a deal of inputting time on this, apart from the simple disappointment in an operation that had previously gone so well.

Any pointers would be most welcome.
Attachments
45rpm New Database.odb
(20.75 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Last edited by mr.seg on Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4.1.11 on Windows 10
Sliderule
Volunteer

Re: Critical database crash

Post by Sliderule »

I was able to recover the CONTENTS of the data ( table ) in your database. It contains 260 rows.

But, I was NOT able to recover any Queries, Forms, nor, Reports. These, you can recreate, if you desire.

45rpm New Database.odb
(34.84 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

You might have closed the OpenOffice program too fast ( before it was able to write everything to your *.odb file ), OR, perhaps, it was open when Windows was updating, and Windows closed the OpenOffice application.

Thanks to add [Solved] in your 1st post Subject (edit button top right) if this issue has been resolved.
mr.seg

Re: Critical database crash

Post by mr.seg »

I am very grateful for that. I have a suspicion that an update might well have been responsible. Many thanks.
Mountaineer

Re: [Solved] Critical database crash

Post by Mountaineer »

mr.seg wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:13 pm ..., apart from the simple disappointment in an operation that had previously gone so well.
Additional hints: Keep backups of your files!!
In a case lake this, it would be easy to import your data in an older version of your database, so you could avoid re-creating your forms.
Keep in mind: The embedded databases are more vulnerable than other files, as the actual data is extracted on opening, and packed inside again on closing. So closing this files takes more time. In this forum you find some hints to convert to split-databases. I use Sqlite for this.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
mr.seg

Re: [Solved] Critical database crash

Post by mr.seg »

Many thanks Mountaineer for your additional information. All noted future reference. I should have backed up but had left the session open to keep adding entries when I had an odd moment or two when it crashed.