Calc File from 2022 Won't Open, Instead Filter Selection List Opens

Discuss the spreadsheet application
JayC

Calc File from 2022 Won't Open, Instead Filter Selection List Opens

Post by JayC »

Hi, I'm using AOO 4.1.6 (just updated from 4.1.15) and Windows 11. I have been creating a calc file for my budget every year since 2019, all of which I can open except for the one for 2022. Instead, a Filter List box opens which only offers "OpenOffice.org XML 1.0 Spreadsheet" as any filter that comes close to seeming appropriate. And, as expected, results with error messages, "Unknown Format" and "General Error: General Input/Output Error." The file is a .ods file. I haven't done anything with it, until now, since December of 2022, and is located in the same OneDrive Folder as the other year's files. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Open Office 4.1.6 on Windows 11
FJCC

Re: Calc File from 2022 Won't Open, Instead Filter Selection List Opens

Post by FJCC »

The file is almost certainly damaged beyond repair. You can post it here and let others take a look, though confidentiality might be a problem for you. Is there any back up of you One Drive files?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Your file is most probably damaged by possibly an error in transmission to/from the OneDrive. If you have a local hard disk copy, try that instead of he OneDrive version.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
JayC

Post by JayC »

I keep my OneDrive files cloud based (for access via other devices), I don't keep local copies. I do back up my OneDrive files to an external drive, or at least I thought I was. It turns out the software I was using didn't actually back anything up, other than indicating the folders I had chosen to backup came from my C: drive. I know that wouldn't typically work because the files aren't local but when given the choice of folders to backup my OneDrive folder was available so I was under the impression that it would back them up. Live and learn. Losing this particular file isn't a big deal, but I think I'm going to have to change tactics. Thank you both for your feedback.
Open Office 4.1.6 on Windows 11