Hyperlink to today's date

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Muhamed65432

Hyperlink to today's date

Post by Muhamed65432 »

Hi everyone.

I have a small problem with a hyperlink in my form. which calculates wages based on hours worked, before and after taxes.
I have a hyperlink at the top of the page that could take you directly to today's date in the form, but it doesn't work. And i can't for the life of me understand why. I've scoured the internet and tried tons of ways to get this to work, but I always end up with a broken link or errors.

What I'm trying to accomplish is that the hyperlink takes you to today's date and highlights the date cell in a different color.

Does anyone here have any good ideas on how I should proceed?.

I have put the form on my google drive, and granted editing rights. Maybe you can make it work there?.

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1csHVIhcWQBaXwI6e_9fIKHmH7BpOi0kQ/edit#gid=1326507239
VcFGiha96HiC.png
VcFGiha96HiC.png (104.56 KiB) Viewed 1535 times
OpenOffice 24.2.1.2 on Linux mint
FJCC

Re: Help with Hyperlink to today's date

Post by FJCC »

This worked for me in OpenOffice.

Code: Select all

=HYPERLINK("#Tidrapport."&ADDRESS(MATCH(TODAY();C$1:C$1048576;0);3;4;1);"Today's row")
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Muhamed65432

Post by Muhamed65432 »

Thanks for your quick answer. I'm sorry, but it doesn't work.

I have put the form on my google drive, and granted editing rights. Test your theories and edit to your heart's content there :)

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1csHVIhcWQBaXwI6e_9fIKHmH7BpOi0kQ/edit#gid=1326507239
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Clicking on the text in I2 takes me to C28. Isn't that what you want?
Attachments
problemer_fjcc.ods
(18.59 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

Can someboy help me to understand?
Current OperatingSystems should synchronize their clock with a time server automatically. Generally there should not be any need for a user to address a specific one (or a google "service") explicitly. Calc spreadsheets know the standard function TODAY().
Whtat's different with the OQer's system?

BTW: Err 509 means "missing operator". A thorough look at the used formula should help to find the critical position. In the given case we may expect a missing "&" in a string expression. Sometimes a pasted formula with a not accepted parameter delimiter can cause the effect.
BTW: Communicate facts, not images.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
FJCC

Re: Hyperlink to today's date

Post by FJCC »

My understanding is that the user wants a hyperlink function that moves the cursor to the row in his document that corresponds to the current date.
Muhamed65432

Post by Muhamed65432 »

FJCC wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:12 pm My understanding is that the user wants a hyperlink function that moves the cursor to the row in his document that corresponds to the current date.
No, I have apparently described the problem a little unclearly.
Clicking on the hyperlink, will automatically mark the box with "today's date" in column "C". As the title of this thread, "Hyperlink to today's date".
There are 28 to 31 days in the month in a year. and clicking on that hyperlink, will automatically give you a visual reference point without having to look for the date in the list. ADDRESS(MATCH(TODAY()

As I stated in my first post.
Re: What I'm trying to accomplish is that the hyperlink takes you to today's date and highlights the date cell in a different color.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

Attach a sheet showing the issue - or post as a minimum the exact formula contained in the cell reporting the error.
After all you need to get the target cell correctly first, and there are lots of opportunities to include syntactical errors (and also semantical ones, of course).
Attaching an image in such a case is simply wasting storage space and trafic.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

t111375.ods
(21.62 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

Also a related demo (just because I had already made it):
aoo111375jumpToRangeOfDates.ods
(11.36 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
---
Lupp from München
Muhamed65432

Post by Muhamed65432 »

Lupp wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:03 pm Attach a sheet showing the issue - or post as a minimum the exact formula contained in the cell reporting the error.
After all you need to get the target cell correctly first, and there are lots of opportunities to include syntactical errors (and also semantical ones, of course).
Attaching an image in such a case is simply wasting storage space and trafic.

I can't upload any files, I just get an ERROR, probably because I haven't been a member long enough, and the image is 'off site, linked.

Google drive LIVE version: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1csHVIhcWQBaXwI6e_9fIKHmH7BpOi0kQ/edit#gid=1326507239

As I said in my first post, I've uploaded it to 'drive as a LIVE version, with permissions to edit the document. And where you can download the XLSX file

Muhamed65432

Post by Muhamed65432 »

Lupp wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:31 pm Also a related demo (just because I had already made it):
aoo111375jumpToRangeOfDates.ods
This doesn't work in Openoffice. Clicking the link does nothing. Nor in the LIVE version. Which you can find here:

Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

1. I will not go to google for the purpose.
2. I tested my example with AOO 4.1.7 before I posted it, and it worked as expected.
3. An additionally re-downloaded copy also did just now again.
4. The "sensitive cell" is J2. Depending on settings Ctrl+Click may be needed to activate the link.
5. I have no idea in what way a "LIVE" version's behaviour should differ from a simply running one.
6. Just found a little error only showing if the start date isn't present in the time row .
Last edited by Lupp on Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
Lupp from München
Muhamed65432

Post by Muhamed65432 »

Lupp wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:34 pm 1. I will not go to google for the purpose.
2. I tested my example with AOO 4.1.7 before I posted it, and it worked as expected.
3. An additionally re-downloaded copy also did just now again.
4. The "sensitive cell" is J2. Depending on settings Ctrl+Click may be needed to activate the link.
5. I have no idea in what way a "LIVE" version's behaviour should differ from a simply running one.
There should be no difference between the LIVE version or locally on the computer. However, there is a lot of functionality missing in the edit field for editing the file in the LIVE version, and why you create the file locally before uploading it. But your example doesn't work locally on my computer or online.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

There is no live version of AOO.
If you want support for Google documents, this forum is not the best place.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Muhamed65432

Post by Muhamed65432 »

Hagar Delest wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:21 pm There is no live version of AOO.
If you want support for Google documents, this forum is not the best place.
No, there is no AOO, because I'm not allowed to upload anything yet. which I stated in previous posts. There is however an XLSX file, that happens to be uploaded to an internet place called GOOGLE DRIVE, to make file available for you for download... AND google happens to have support for xlsx file on their google drive server, making it possible to EDIT this xmlsx file, AND downloading it at the same time. if you don't want to edit the file, just download the file, and open it on your computer instead. ALL of this, I stated on my first post!, including what problems I have and want to achieve…
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

You are being both unclear and snarky. That is a bad combination. Here are a few comments before I leave this thread.

You are not using OpenOffice if your version is 24.2.1.2. You are using LibreOffice.

In your first post you say "hyperlink at the top of the page that could take you directly to today's date in the form". When I said "the user wants a hyperlink function that moves the cursor to the row in his document that corresponds to the current date" you said that was incorrect and you want "Clicking on the hyperlink, will automatically mark the box with "today's date" in column "C"." The purpose of a hyperlink is to go to a location, not to mark something. And a function in one cell cannot change the content or appearance of another cell.

Describing a program or document as the "LIVE version" is not terminology I am familiar with. I think Hagar took it to mean "web version", a reasonable guess.

The statement "I'm not allowed to upload anything yet" is clearly not true; there is an image in your first post.

The people who have tried to help you have more that 75 thousand posts between them. If they are struggling to understand your request, it seems possible that the problem is not entirely on their side.
Muhamed65432

Post by Muhamed65432 »

I continuously keep repeating myself from post to post! in this forum!.
As I previously stated in the post above, the image is linked 'off site. And no, the hyperlink can be used for tons of other functions than just going to amazone.com. example: if you have a list of dates, you can replace amazone.com with "TODAY()", and the hyperlink will take you to the date in the column the date is in, and highlight or mark 'today's date' in a different color etc etc. The hyperlink is just a transporter. To where or to what, is up to you who creates the link. Take this hyperlink as an exsample. =HYPERLINK("#C"&MATCH(TODAY();$C$7:C$38;7);"Jump To Today"). Links you to column #C and looks for today's date between C8 and C38, starting the search 8 rows down the column. And this works perfectly fine in microsoft, but not at all in libreoffice or openoffice!. HENS my question on this openoffice forum.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I was the one who uploaded the pic in your first post. Because it is a bad idea to link screenshots. Links become deprecated after a while and the information then disappears. See How to attach a document here).

The trick is that you use xlsx format, rendered by a 3rd party application that does support the file format but maybe not all the formulas, and asking formulas from still another application (which appears to be LO). It is quite a mess. If you want help with AOO/LO, then use AOO/LO to test the proposal made here. Else, ask in Google forums or MS Office forums. xlsx is not a fully interoperable format (at least the flavor used natively by MS Office). But in this case, I rather suspect how Google renders the file.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10